The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: PNG Transparency in Mac IE 5.2.3 + Win IE 6

PNG Transparency in Mac IE 5.2.3 + Win IE 6

I've been looking through a bunch of examples of how to use Transparent PNGs in IE however am unsuccessful in my own efforts. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction or direct me to a good example. I'm interested in only using a PNG as a background style. Thanks.

No... PNG transparency doesn't work on IE no matter what. This has been covered many many times
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

I had the same problem. someone gave me this like to help me out.

http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/

There are tons of PNG hacks for IE out there...none of them work?

Thats the only solution i found. Didn't use it anyway. I wanted to put an image of a shadow ontop of a tiled background. I ended up just making one image of the shadow on a little but of the tiles.

I think web developers as a whole should band together, and FORCE web browsers to become standards compliant. SImply having IE saying "Yeah, we'll get to it" isn't cutting it. They've had how many years to fix a few minor details??!?!

I'm pondering the idea of having a sniffer script run when someone first visits my site, and if they're using a non-compliant browser, re-directing them to a page where it displays various web browsers and the pros and cons of them all.

back on topic, there really isn't anyway to do that...I was looking up ways to simulate transparency, but they require knowledge of CSS. I'll be able to help if someone requests so, but otherwise, let your anger fester.

PNG transparency works fine in Windows IE with the use of the DX filter AlphaTransparency -- take a look on http://www.alistapart.com/ ^_^ There's an article explaining it (fuzzy drop shadows, I believe). It will not, however, work on Mac IE. Since DX filters require DirectX, and Mac has no DirectX, it will just display that ugly grey background ^_^ Native support is coming in IE7, but still. Yeesh.

when I have to use a png, I usually stick it in a flash movie, even if it's only the png in there and then set the flash movie to transparent

bit of a work around but it does work
    now with blog, click here

Quote Originally Posted by RabBell
    when I have to use a png, I usually stick it in a flash movie, even if it's only the png in there and then set the flash movie to transparent

bit of a work around but it does work
    You're correct it does work... but... not on NS (who uses it anyway) and also, it results in a massive CPU drain on Macs.
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

doesn't matter. once adobe aquires macromedia, it will change the world of web as we know it.
    //the ninja sleeps and dreams of ninja swords, throwing stars, and his fly ladies//

anyone have an example of a png with transparent dropshadow bacground repeat-y working?

i found the png alpha channel solution at

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngtestfixed.htm

a simple javascript code that will do the job for you i guess...
    use of DXimagetransform filter for IE6+, nothing complicated.

Thread Information