Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Constraining movement by radius

Constraining movement by radius

This doesn't look pretty or accomplish anything groundbreaking, but may come in handy for someone looking to constrain the movement of something like the crosshairs in a game.

I am working on a game (play my finished games HERE) and wanted to constrain the movement of the mouse controlled crosshair to a certain radius around the player. Since it gave me difficulties I figured I'd post a simple demonstration of my solution.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thats sweet. I made a Joystic using the same concept. Nice work.

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: Icr125riderI

Quote Originally Posted by cr125rider
    Thats sweet. I made a Joystic using the same concept. Nice work.
    Thanks! Did you make a visual representation of a joystick or did you use a joystick to control your game? I would be intrested in knowing how to program a joystick control in flash. Ironically, I used to be able to do it in Basic on a Commodore 64 (back in the day!). However, I was unaware that it was supported in flash.

I like it. Is it laggy because of trigonometric math calculations or is it just an fps thing?
    Formerly GWing_02

Is it laggy

Quote Originally Posted by GWing_02
    I like it. Is it laggy because of trigonometric math calculations or is it just an fps thing?
    I would assume it is because of the math. However, I haven't experienced any lag on my machine. It runs at 1.5 ghz.

very nice. Definatley something that could come in handy.
    Jerez_z Prime
    jStudios - Yay google pages! God I'm Lazy....

I'd say FPS issue. Runs choppy for me on a 1.8 ghz.
    Here's that Joystic thing.

cr125rider, that is sweet, could I see the fla for that?
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Here you go!

I like it

cr125rider - Cool example! I especially like the way the joystick springs back when you release it. Thanks for posting it along with the fla.

No Problem

The joystick is awesome. Thanks for posting. I'm gonna fiddle around with it when I get a bit of free time.

Seven Room Studio
    : Kirupa Nintendo Cult Member 32 :

TheVanguard - My band - We're currenly looking for a singer/frontman

Thread Information