Thread: Best and worst External Hard-Drive

Best and worst External Hard-Drive

I'm looking at external Hard-Drive for my electronic imaging class this semester. I need a firewire unit for playing video off of it, and I'm looking for something over 120GB. Anyways, my searches at Froogle have lead me to a LaCie D2 160GB with FW800/FW400/USB2. It's $170 and I am wondering if any of you have suggestions for external drives, best prices you've seen, bad experiences with certain brands, etc. Thanks!

i need to know too, getting one for my b-day

prstudio
    n/a
    wrong forum.

I have a Western Digital. The guy who recently tried to recover my crashed hard drive (internal - the reaon why I now own an external) said that in his opinion, Western Digital and Maxtor make very good drives. He sees those the least in his shop (meaning he doesn't have to fix them very often). Mine is a 300GB one and I think I spent $200 on it? Got it at Frye's. It was a bit more expensive than others but it can take CF and SD cards directly so I can download from my camera or pocket pc directly.

"i walk in stride with people much taller than me and partly it's the boots but mostly it's my chi and i'm becoming transfixed with nature and my part in it which i believe just signifies i'm finally waking up "

I have a mac at home and at school all we use for our Flash class are macs what would be a good external hard drive to get that is not too expensive or should i just get a flash drive

use punctuation. I almost killed myself running out of breath reading your post (not that I read kforums out loud...)

I've got a freecom 80gig 7200rpm external hd and I'm quite happy with it. Latency is alright and transfer speed quite fast on recent computers (though it's really lousy on macs, they just hate usb2). Got it in the uk for 60 pounds (change that to your funny money)

LaCie is def a brand i recomment, loads of video designer use them because they are fast and reliable...

You could get a 1.6TB drive from LaCie too, that'll hold your video!
    “Who were you, Krilnon, and how did you know so much about AS4?”
    The historian sighed as she gazed up at the sky and saw… not stars. A story.

Orrrrrrrr, buy an internal HD from WD or Seagate and buy an enclosure for $20 for the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtr0sity
    Orrrrrrrr, buy an internal HD from WD or Seagate and buy an enclosure for $20 for the same effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtimbly
    I need a firewire unit for playing video off of it
    You really don't see too many internal HD's with Firewire ports, now do you?
    “Who were you, Krilnon, and how did you know so much about AS4?”
    The historian sighed as she gazed up at the sky and saw… not stars. A story.

you don't see them with usb either, that's the point of the enclosure. Adds the ports and what not.

Lacie's are sexy.

Thread Information