Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Microsoft word substitute.

Microsoft word substitute.

Are there any freeware programmes out there similar to microsoft word and comatible with windows xp to download?

home cooking is killing the restaurant industry
    There are only 10 kinds of people in this world:
    Those that might know ternary, those that do, and those that don't
    Say NO to DRM.

OpenOffice ROCKS!

I was looking for a replacement of WORD. Because sometimes word does what it wants. GRRR... wich is really irritating... Especially when i come to placing pictures.
    : Sometimes I come out of no where to update the Nintendo Cult thread. :
    : Kirupa Nintendo Cult Member 1 : click here to join :

Quote Originally Posted by T-O
    I was looking for a replacement of WORD. Because sometimes word does what it wants. GRRR... wich is really irritating... Especially when i come to placing pictures.
    You know that you can turn off all of the autoformat garbage in Word right?

Also check out abiword...I don't think it's as powerful as openoffice, but I like the look of it better.

http://www.abisource.com/

-teet

you could use the built in microsoft works, it has some good features, can't think of them at the min, but i'm sure there are some..

notepad ****it! Curse you people and your fancy-shmancy text editors!

actually I use office XP and I've just learned to deal with it's stupid little quirks, and Iv'e fixed someof them.
    This message will self destruct.

Ya notepad is the absolute best, but it is usually to advanced for the average user..

edit: hope none of you believed me !!
    Last edited by evolution; June 26th, 2004 at 09:44 PM.

10. *ahem* Don't mean to nitpick here, but...

MS Notepad = text editor
    MS Word = word processor

There is a difference.

a lot of pcs now ship with OEM Wordperfect... I dont know if you might have gotten that and overlooked it or not (I got it in the last 2 of 3 computers purchased)

Wordpad would be the Windows word processor alternative (notepad being the text editor)

Otherwise, you might want to check out something like http://www.download.com/Word-Process...0.html?tag=dir

Thread Information