Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: The basics of an RPG (role-playing game)

hi guys this make it so ur char bumps off walls...um mine might not be the most efficiant but it works any way paste this on a movieclip named wall and have your backround instance bkg
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    if (_parent.man.hitTest (this)) {
    _parent.bkg._y += 3;
    _parent.bkg._x += 3;
    _parent.wall._y += 3;
    _parent.wall._x += 3;

make your wall on the bottom off the screen if your char hits it it willl bump him to the side, again this might not be the most efficint but it works

Whoah...this topic is STILL going...man Im pretty proud of myself, for writing such an awful tutorial

I got a question.
    Forgive me if this was asked before. I scanned the thread and did not see anything posted but I went kind of quick.

In the Stick RPG "character creator" screen you can distribute a set amount of points to each of the attributes.

I was hoping you (or someone) could post the script that makes that work.

Thanks,
    -Chris

howdy

Hello all, dont know if anyones stil watching here, ive just joined the site, bloody awesome looking though, seems helpful.

Im in uni doing a course in uni and mostly work with 3d,
    but im starting to ge back into action scripting,
    did it a few years ago but forgot most of it, anyways.

um, for whats its worth, someone was asking way earlier on, how to get your character back to frame 1 (stillframe) when you release the key,
    most said use

onClipEvent(keyup){
    gotoAndStop(1);
    }

i find it bugs though, sometimes lags and skitzes out when you do that, try

if(!Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT) and !Key.isDown(Key.LEFT) and (***finish with the rest of your buttons, for up and down and whatnot***) {
    this.gotoAndStop(1);
    }

i find this works alot better but can be a bit tedious typing so much ****.

um, question, tim somebody was doing another tutorial on rpg, a bit more extensively.

step by step, got to the seventh page, im pretty interested in that one, goes through tiles and making a map editor and all that, does anyone know if hes finishing it? or has it been there like that for like the last 6 years?
    anyways, im off to go pretend like im some smart action scriptin kid...

by the way, is anyone else into 3d? mainly maya

my email is demon_damon69@hotmail.com

if anyone wants a chat

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJay
    um, question, tim somebody was doing another tutorial on rpg, a bit more extensively.

step by step, got to the seventh page, im pretty interested in that one, goes through tiles and making a map editor and all that, does anyone know if hes finishing it? or has it been there like that for like the last 6 years?
    anyways, im off to go pretend like im some smart action scriptin kid...

by the way, is anyone else into 3d? mainly maya

my email is demon_damon69@hotmail.com

if anyone wants a chat

I actually just have not had time to work on anything outside my current job - plus, I haven't opened Flash in about a year... I fully intended to finish up the tutorial, but it doesn't seem feasable at this time... If you have a specific question, I can try to help out, though.

off topic:
    -------------------------

Woah, SeiferTim is back :O

Quote Originally Posted by joppe

off topic:

Woah, SeiferTim is back :O

off topic:

Lol... I've been lurking for awhile, but there isn't much I can contribute - you guys have everything covered Plus, like I said, I haven't touched Flash in years.

Okay, maybe more like months, but still

ahh ok. yeah well as i said, ive only just foun d this site (which i find is like a flash bible)
    so i wasnt sure if your tutorial was new or not.
    i did start following it, making an rpg much in the likes of final fantasy 3 but based on the movie "crouching tiger hidden dragon".
    but i made a few changes, i didnt use the rotation to make my character face idfferent directions but nested yet another series of movie clips into guy_mc.
    so basically, you press RIGHT, it gotoandstops on frame (3) (4 frames for 4 direction), and inside that ill have another 2 movie clips, stopped, and a looping walk. while key is pressed it will gotoandstop on the walking frame and when its not pressed it will gotoand stop on the stationary frame.
    that way, when im not moving, im still facing the last direction i pressed. but i had problems making the matrix for it, the level matrix works but the item map didnt.
    i had different insance names and what not aswell, i managed to find where to change it all in your code but it still didnt work, im not entirely sure why, but doesnt matter, im far to new at action script to build a game yet, so ill try again when im a ittle more learned i thinks.
    thanks anyhow though, through it ive learnt attaching movieclips and collisions using check coords and all that jazz... comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJay
    ahh ok. yeah well as i said, ive only just foun d this site (which i find is like a flash bible)
    so i wasnt sure if your tutorial was new or not.
    i did start following it, making an rpg much in the likes of final fantasy 3 but based on the movie "crouching tiger hidden dragon".
    but i made a few changes, i didnt use the rotation to make my character face idfferent directions but nested yet another series of movie clips into guy_mc.
    so basically, you press RIGHT, it gotoandstops on frame (3) (4 frames for 4 direction), and inside that ill have another 2 movie clips, stopped, and a looping walk. while key is pressed it will gotoandstop on the walking frame and when its not pressed it will gotoand stop on the stationary frame.
    that way, when im not moving, im still facing the last direction i pressed. but i had problems making the matrix for it, the level matrix works but the item map didnt.
    i had different insance names and what not aswell, i managed to find where to change it all in your code but it still didnt work, im not entirely sure why, but doesnt matter, im far to new at action script to build a game yet, so ill try again when im a ittle more learned i thinks.
    thanks anyhow though, through it ive learnt attaching movieclips and collisions using check coords and all that jazz... comes in handy.
    Having differnet frames for the direction your guy is facing works better if you intend to have sprite-like animation. About the other problems... well, like I said... haven't looked at Flash in a long time... it's been all Visual Basic, PHP, and C++ for me lately

Afrostyle Dude

do you make new layers for each building and for the inside of the buildings do we put them on frame 2 for 1st building and frame 3 for 2nd building etc?

if any one out there has a working example of a RPG could you make it avaliable, because i am new to this site and i would like to catch up
    Last edited by hells demand; May 26th, 2007 at 03:08 AM.

denacioust, can you send to me a example about this RPG tutorial? Make same as your tutorial...

Thanks. And with .fla and .swf. Please, thank you!

i would also like the .fla of whats done so far because i am completely lost and don't waht going on her so far!

well, i have one suggestion, learn something.

focus on what's being talked about, try stuff. don't immediately jsut ask for the script.

"Try before you buy (In this case, not buy, but Beg)!"

Quote Originally Posted by signifer123 View Post
    can you teach how to make it so you don't walk through the buildings?
    I'm really new here, so I'm not quite sure if this is spamming or whatever, but there's a great
    collision detection script here:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/424136
    Just look at the first section unless you want it to be a platform.

Hope it helped!

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread Information