The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: contact form without php (or email ideally)

contact form without php (or email ideally)

Hi again!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a form or tutorial for a contact form which will either send emails without the use of a php script

and/or that will save the form contents to a local file and not require an internet connection?

Thanks so much in advance!

Sound like you just started,

There are no email library in flash yet. you have to wait or use PHP

To store data on local computer you can use Flash cookies => SharedObject

Quote Originally Posted by LOLFlash View Post
    Sound like you just started,

There are no email library in flash yet. you have to wait or use PHP

To store data on local computer you can use Flash cookies => SharedObject
    I know, I didn't want to use PHP because this flash kiosk is going to be running locally and not have a php server on the local machine...

How about using FileReference is that a good method?

Quote Originally Posted by dakky View Post
    How about using FileReference is that a good method?
    Actually, that one won't quite work. In plain old Flash, "FileReference" will open a "Save as..." dialog when you try to save a file. Flash can't force the user to save something on their computer without their permission.

Another aternaitve is if you use AIR instead of just Flash. That will allow you to have a bit more control over the system, allowing you to save files as well.

How many emails do you expect to receive between the times when the inbox is "emptied"? Are they just plain text, or do you need other data stored with them as well such as images?
    Blog article of the month: Why My One Line 'if' Statements Are Unusual
    Twitter: @IQAndreas
    GitHub: IQAndreas

Of cause all depends what you want from your kiosk and what technology you want to use to achieve your goal.
    One is collecting data from screen another delivering data to predefined places.

If you do survey application you probably want all data after all stored in one place for following analysis as well have notification alert on each flagged event in your application.

Kiosk have specific task : it should't lost data if it is currently online/offline. So you have to have kind of temporary storage.

What technology to use it is up to you and mostly depends from your acknowledgement.

For temp storage you can use SharedObject, or file system on your local computer.

For delivery data and notification you need network Software and I recommend have it separate from kiosk application. You can use Flash URLLoader class, Flash Socket class, Windows built-in agents, Install any other software what you comfortable with: Google Drive, Apache/PHP, Git so on.

Quote Originally Posted by creatify View Post
    And if you can make it work, I have something better for you then Flash

Thread Information