Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good ol' Random ain't what it use to be.

Good ol' Random ain't what it use to be.

Just doesn't have the same vibe as it once had. Maybe because it's a different crowd now. Still nice to see some familiar faces though.

A lot of old threads seem to be resurrected these days as well. Seems odd to give an opinion on something that was last talked about 2 years ago.

Glad to be back though

Welcome back!

Even though I probably haven't been around as long as you have, I too have noticed a lot of guest accounts or people with 1 post responding to 2-4 year old threads... Also a LOT of spam lately :p
    As3 / JS/jQuery / HTML5 / CSS(3) / PHP (intermediate)

This whole place ain't what it used to be! Just not as many regulars I think.

(we need more skinny)
    Proud Montanadian
    We tolerate living and breathing. And niches.

Name Brand Watches

Maybe getTimer() or TweenMax is the answer to your problem . . .

Welcome back skinny!

I think there are several issues contributing to Random's decline. Let me list the ones in order of relevancy:

1. Facebook being the place where one discusses fun/random things.
    2. Twitter making it possible to do quick updates and get responses from people.
    3. The old Flash audience pretty much having moved on to pastures...that will one day become green!

The main thing that the site can do is address #3. Getting the HTML5 topics built up to the same level as what we have for Flash will take time. My guess is it will take at least a year. Right now, I am still writing about the basics. Only when you start writing about the cool/useful things (as opposed to the boring building blocks) will people start using the forums more.

The most popular tutorials on the site are the Photo Gallery, Slideshow, and Reading XML ones. Many of the common questions you see also revolve around those topics. If you take the 50 popular Flash tutorials, you'll see that not a single one has an HTML5 equivalent...yet.

When that happens, then I feel you'll see a new set of posters start posting.

Regarding the bumps of old threads, that is pretty much almost always caused by spammers!

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

Speaking of spammers, there's one HELL of a wave of them by one person today - a full page and a half filled with the same topic? Perhaps a (reasonably tight) limit on new threads per day per account might not be such a terrible idea 0.o

Yeah, that was a lot of spam! Yikes. I'll look into seeing what can be done to fix it

Yeah I deleted like 50 posts this morning by ~5 different people.
    Proud Montanadian

Name Brand Watches

well where else am I supposed to advertise my mattresses and wedding gear?

Some of us still lurk, quietly.

Be louder
    Proud Montanadian

Name Brand Watches

You're loud.
    Proud Montanadian
    You want a toe? I can get you a toe... Hell, I can get you a toe by three o'clock this afternoon, with nail polish.

Loud like that guy?

Ahh clipart. School was funner when you could put random peeps in your essays.
    Proud Montanadian

Name Brand Watches

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian View Post
    (we need more skinny)
    And this is why I've returned.

I had a feeling that social networks like facebook and twitter would have put a huge dint in the amount of posts. It's a shame really because we had such a strong community. Hopefully people haven't gone too far and have just been browsing more than posting.

There is adequate activity in the other forums. If Facebook and Twitter provide code tags, then it is pretty much game over haha.

The one that I keep more of an eye on is stackoverflow. They definitely have the right idea with their format.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information