The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Motion/jittery problem in Flash

Motion/jittery problem in Flash

Hi guys,

I've been struggling with this for about a week now.

I am trying to make a simple object move across the screen, but I am running into the problem if it being jittery and choppy. I tried to adjust the frame rate, but it didn't help much.

I am not sure what to do next. I kind of thought something as simple as this would flow a lot nicer, especially since Flash is supposed to be known for doing good animation, but it just doesn't look great.

I am running Windows 7, 64-bit, 8GB RAM, Quad-core 2.4ghz processor.

I have attached the .fla file. Also, here is a link to the swf file: http://legionofderp.com/testing-sword-03.swf

If someone could take a look and give any sort of helpful device, that would be awesome!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unfortunately this is something you'll encounter with any non-accelerated graphics with HTML5 or Flash.

Try using a tween library, such as TweenLite instead of timeline animation. If you are set on using timeline animation, try adjusting the easing of the motion so the sword isn't moving at a constant speed. The constant velocity makes the stuttering much more noticeable.

Thread Information