Thread: CS5.5 Font embedding horror (bug, not "does anyone know how to embed fonts?")

Font embedding horror [bug]

I am using three fonts of the Helvetica typeface,
    embedding them with the embed metatag, font files inside project, openType.

I noticed that for some reason the bold font looks identical to the roman font.

After 4 hours of ____, and testing with five fonts, it turns out that:

if i change the name of all the font files at once, and change the reference to them in the code, all of the fonts work the first time i publish. the second time i publish (without any changes except pressing publish a second time) some fonts overwrite others, randomly, for instance :

roman looks like roman
    bold looks like roman,
    light looks like roman,
    black looks like black,
    rounded looks like black.

could be anything, i cant predict what will overwrite what.

the only way i can make sure that flash embeds all of the fonts, is to change *all* of their names and publish.

additional info:
    second time i publish the swf filesize is much smaller than first time ( -flash really doesn't embed anything)
    traces to which fonts are registered show all fonts are there,
    no errors
    using distinct fontnames
    publishing cache disabled
    restart doesn't help

flash cs5.5
    fdt 4
    flex 4/air 3 sdk
    windows 7

The problem isn't critical since i found the workaround, but it was/is so annoying, and i'd really be happy if anyone knows what could it be, even if i find out after i finish.

Thanks people
    Last edited by magarik; April 12th, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe

i *think* that this is related to the TFLTextFields - are the fields TFLs? if i remember right, there was something about the order of instantiation that isn't quite right/with a generated swc file (?) or something - i think that there is a solution but it's a bit messy - as a result i think most people don't use them, opting for a regular ole classic field instead - save the headache

here's something
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...h-tlftextfield

this one has loads of info
    http://www.stevensacks.net/2010/05/2...h-loaded-swfs/

because it's the same typeface, even thought you've embedded each version (bold, italic, etc) when you set your text try setting:

for bold
    yourTextField.htmlText = "<b>"+whatever+"</b>";

for italic
    yourTextField.htmlText = "<i>"+whatever+"</i>";

Thanks for the replies, but both solutions wont work -
    1 i used normal textfields created at runtime
    1a size of swf different at export - meaning problem at embed level

2 i used for testing 5 fonts of the same typeface, only one of them was bold and theoretically could be referenced with <b>
    i embedded them with unique names, and all as fontweight:normal, fontstyle:normal,
    since flash was giving me transcoding error when i tried to declare the bold font as bold

i cant think of anything that could behave this way other than cache related bug, since publishing a 2nd time changes things...

So far i solved it by making a separate swf for fonts, making sure they were allright once, and then i dont touch that swf when i keep working on the main program. still very annoying bug

Thread Information