Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL: jQuery Particle System PREVIEW

TUTORIAL: jQuery Particle System PREVIEW

I'm curious what you guys think about my style of writing, and if the tutorial is clear enough, and if you would like some more stuff explained (this is my first tutorial)

www.mariusposthumus.nl/kirupa/tutorial

Thanks!
    MJ
    As3 / JS/jQuery / HTML5 / CSS(3) / PHP (intermediate)

I like your style and language, it is easy to follow your argumentation, and it is personally written.

I've started with js a few times before, but all the fun things quickly becomes bloated and unorganized. For me, the biggest challenge with js is how to understand the structuring of all the code and assets. All my js projects so far have been shotgun folderstructures and files. I'm not a very structured person.

Do you recommend any js IDE?
    NeatBeans? Aptana?

Thanks for the positive feedback I was kinda worried people would find my sentence structures a bit weird, sometimes I try to translate what's in my head too literaly(english isn't my native language).

The mail has been sent to Kirupa, so let's hope it's within the tutorial section soon!

Well I actually don't use an IDE, I just code in Notepad++/Smultron. There's still a bunch for me to learn so I'm not really qualified to answer your questions :p
    As far as I've discovered though, jQuery is basicly the same as As3 when it comes to structure.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpfull

Part II is almost finished also, so take a look over there too!

MJ

I just had a chance to read through this! Overall, the tutorial is really nice. I do have a few suggestions on small improvements you can make to really make your tutorial shine

The intro is your chance to get the reader excited and to provide context on what the tutorial is about. In this case, you should focus on creating a simple particle system. I wouldn't try to sell Part II at all in the introduction. Instead, I will describe what I mean by a particle system and describe at a high level how you will do this. Towards the end, you can guide people to Part II if they want to handle collisions.

Likewise, in part II, the part where you actually add the collision detection, I would tell people to start with Part I for the intro and then pick up from where Part I left off.

What do you think?

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

Spell check
    Proud Montanadian
    We tolerate living and breathing. And niches.

Name Brand Watches

Maybe getTimer() or TweenMax is the answer to your problem . . .

@Kirupa:
    Thanks for checking it out! I had a feeling I had to change the intro, but like I said, this is my first tutorial so I'm not that familiar yet with writing one. I'll make some changes and mail them back to you when I'm done!

@TheCanadian:
    Could you be more specific, like I said English isn't my native language so please report any and all errors and feel free to rephrase some sentences.

MJ

I've made (quite) some changes to the first tutorial!
    Again I'm curious what you guys think!

MJ

I haven't read through the entire thing, but I noticed quite a few spelling error in the first paragraph. Does your word processor not have a spell-check function? For a non-native speaker, your English is actually quite good.
    Proud Montanadian
    We tolerate living and breathing. And niches.

Name Brand Watches

Maybe getTimer() or TweenMax is the answer to your problem . . .

Hehe Notepad++ doesn't have a spell-check function But I'll give it a go in Word or something. Well I'm from Holland and first of all we are taught english in middle and high school, but next to that everything we do is related to english, tv, movies, games. I grew up with english all around me and at the age of 7-8 I was watching some tv when my parents walked in and said to me: "Hey there's no subtitles" and I was like: "Oh I didn't notice..." So yeah, like I said I grew up with english all around me, I read english books, watch tv shows, movies all without subtitles, this way your vocabulary grows quickly
    Just a tad of MJ history for ya

MJ - your revised version is good. I'll try to have the tutorial added to the site on the weekend

Awesome! I'll finish the second part asap!

You can find a final draft of Marius's tutorial here: http://www.kirupa.com/html5/creating...cle_system.htm

I'll do another proofread pass tomorrow, and after that, it will be linked to from the main site and tutorials sections

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

Well, it doesn't use jQuery at all. But it looks like that might just be an evolution of the code, because your original tutorial page has a little bit of jQuery.

Kirupa mentioned this to me, and he changed the tutorial a bit so it's pure javascript in stead of two lines of jQuery :p I'm almost finished with the second part, this will offcourse also go through a proper screening by Kirupa and will be online soon enough

A few changes are probably needed but this is the first draft:
    http://www.mariusposthumus.nl/kirupa...l/parttwo.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information