Thread: Learning simple 3D with javascript - or Canvas?

Learning simple 3D with javascript - or Canvas?

hey guys,

I want to start some basic 3D in HTML5 .. Im moving in from AS3. So Im not sure what's the best approach to simple 3D in the browser. I mean I dont want to do anything insane with webGL etc. I want some nice old skool 3D scrolling to mouse etc.

What I really want to achieve is learn how to plot a couple of straight lines in a 3D space. Not a cube, its more about the basics.

Here is a link to the idea.

Basically - should I be using three.js, canvas, javascript .. or what!? Like I said I dont want mad libs enabling the next chrome experiment. When I look at three.js, all the examples are pretty full on. Where as im trying to find some basics.

whats the word out there?

Well offcourse you can't "really" create something in 3D but you can create the illusion, just like the link you mentioned. It's all about the vanishing point.. If you have a basic understanding of 3D (like Technical drawning) I think this can help you a lot.
    I'm not sure where I would start to be honest, but it's an interesting thought, and seeing how I've been messing with jQuery lately (www.mariusposthumus.nl/canvasFun for example) I'm curious about how this could unfold
    As3 / JS/jQuery / HTML5 / CSS(3) / PHP (intermediate)

Start with canvas. Forget all the js 3D libraries for the moment.

I think thats a good tip kadaj. It's seemed easier working with just plain javascript (coming from from flash), using setInterval as a 'frame rate'.
    Getting a particle system going is a great relief - seeing it run smoothly in the browser, as MJ's comment shows.
    Still am looking to draw a line with x, y, z co-ords .. so pls post if you know of any examples ..

Once again, like I said, a real Z doesn't exist on a 2d canvas. But what you can do is create a dotted line (anti alias anyone?) and have it be positioned a bit higher/lower and a bit more to the right/left and have it be a tiny bit smaller. This way you'll create the illusion it's a line going into the -Z but in reality it isn't.
    As3 / JS/jQuery / HTML5 / CSS(3) / PHP (intermediate)

Thread Information