Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: DB sharding vs partitioning

DB sharding vs partitioning

Hi there,
    I came accross DB sharding/partitioning and realised that i will soon have to implement that concept but i am looking for the right option to choose from as it is new territory here.

Looking at it i would opt for sharding but is this really the way to go.
    In overall i will have a user table that will grow really big and each user will have their comments, posts, messages, followers etc...

can anybody help me in terms of what i need and waht will be the best approach in terms of growth and reliability please.

Thanks so much for any help,

Regards

Jerome

liran
    n/a

Sharding

If you want to implement sharding - try out ScaleBase. They shard your database transparently for you.

Thanks Liran,
    i will have a look at it.
    From hours spent yesterday researching i have the base of how to shard but i would like to achieve something like wordpress, wordpress multisite.
    Do they hold eg. 1million users into a db at a time,including all of users site data.
    in otherwords if i have a million user i will have almost 1million table too (from which comment and post are gonna be big).
    is it the right way of doing such thing? or it does not matter as mysql can handle more than that.

Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it.

Regards

Liran
    n/a

Sharding

Hi Jerome,

I think it's too complex to answer as a reply on a forum. Drop me an email liran dot zelkha at scalebase dot com - I think I can have some alternatives for you that will scale much better.

Thread Information