Thread: swf embed

swf embed

sorry i'm sure this is mentioned in other threads but it would be a nice feature. If the answer is right in front of my face you can ban me.

p.s. please don't ban me.

That was possible here in the past, but then there was an XSS attack that resulted in an account being taken over and a lot of legitimate posts being deleted.

I don't know much about vulnerabilitys like that, but perhaps adding swf as an attachment type is a decent alternative

I just can't resist myself from poking nose into this thread,

enabling flash or HTML in forums in still considered vulnerable due to various X.S.S vulnerabilities

An attacker can easily steal user cookies and then can log in to the forum without knowing user/pass of the victim

Most of the forums still don't allow enabling flash/HTML in signatures due to this reason only!
    Last edited by ProdigalS; March 20th, 2011 at 05:21 AM.

so attaching a swf as a downloadable file type shouldn't be a threat then? if so I vote for that

Quote Originally Posted by tbo View Post
    so attaching a swf as a downloadable file type shouldn't be a threat then? if so I vote for that
    We had that feature too; I believe it was also disabled for the same reason.

If you don't believe me, here's one of my old posts with a SWF (still) attached: http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showpost...34&postcount=2

oh well, thanks though this was a bit of an eye opener for me. when I complete my site, which seems to look like it will be the year 2040 by then, I sertainly plan to embed swfs often.

im glad we can embed youtube now, I feel as though I would have posted a fat kid falling off a moped by now. I must be busy.

Krilnon summarized the reasons nicely, so I'll just leave with the following contribution:

I can't wait to see a video of a fat kid falling off a moped!

win!

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

his movment flows like a swan

Thread Information