Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

View Poll Results: What IDE are you using for ActionScript?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flash Professional (from the Creative Suite)

23 18.40%
  • FlashDevelop

54 43.20%
  • Flash Builder (aka Flex Builder)

23 18.40%
  • FDT

15 12.00%
  • IntelliJ IDEA

1 0.80%
  • Other (Eclipse based)

2 1.60%
  • Other (Notepad style or code coloring only)

2 1.60%
  • Other (None of the above)

1 0.80%
  • [just show me the results]

4 3.20%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What IDE are you using for ActionScript, and why?

What IDE are you using for ActionScript, and why?

There are several editors available out there, and I'm wondering what the difference is between them.

I would like to know what you guys think (primarily seasoned developers, but beginners are welcome too) about the different IDEs, what makes some better than others? What features do you miss in the editor you use primarily right now? What did you not like about other editors you have used in the past?
    Blog article of the month: Why My One Line 'if' Statements Are Unusual
    Twitter: @IQAndreas
    GitHub: IQAndreas

Eclipse... it does everything I need it to, it runs in Ubuntu, and it's free.

Sometimes I use gedit as well if I'm writing quick code and I'm not near the machine I usually write on (for instance at work we only have Visual Studio... so if I write up a quick script that isn't a MS language, gedit it is).

All the editors I use though tend to have crappy 'debug' features (aside from Visual Studio)... but then again when I'm Visual Studio I tend to stick with my normal methods of debugging which doesn't rely on any debugger any way... some of the debuggers are just a lot to learn and I really don't care to take the time to learn em'.
    Last edited by lordofduct; August 16th, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
    www.lordofduct.com - come read my blog!

If you want to know how to program, take a math class, take a lot of math classes!

Personally, I use FlexBuilder because it is the only thing runs on Ubuntu Linux and is at the same time free.

But when in Windows, I greatly prefer FlashDevelop, though, I haven't tried any other IDEs other than Flash Professional - the crappiest coding environment second only to notepad!

If you're using FlexBuilder in linux, that's just an eclipse plug-in. I just consider that to be Eclipse... seeing as you need eclipse already installed to install the linux version of flex builder.

(I put that in a different league as all it really does is integrate the debugger, compiler, and intelli-sense... where as the Windows version offers up tons of added features that aren't standard eclipse style things).

I played with the flexbuilder plug-in beta. But it's a bit finnicky, and I was able to enable those things I needed (intelli-sense, compiler, simple debugger) with out it.
    Last edited by lordofduct; August 16th, 2010 at 10:13 PM.

If you want to know how to program, take a math class, take a lot of math classes!

Quote Originally Posted by lordofduct View Post
    Eclipse... it does everything I need it to, it runs in Ubuntu, and it's free.
    I didn't realize you were a fellow Ubuntu user.

So, do you have any special plug-ins for the code hinting or coloring in Eclipse, or how do you have that setup?

I use fb4linux, which tends to crash maybe once a day and doesn't have any advanced features such as profiling or design view, but it get's the job done, and as long as I hit save every 30 seconds, the crashes don't bother all too much.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofduct View Post
    Sometimes I use gedit as well if I'm writing quick code and I'm not near the machine I usually write on (for instance at work we only have Visual Studio... so if I write up a quick script that isn't a MS language, gedit it is).
    Since you mention it anyway, on a sidenote, I have never found any IDE more beautiful, fantastic, wonderful, and fully featured than Visual Sudio.net. Ah, how I do miss working therein... If only there was something as wonderful out there for Flash...

I do agree, Visual Studio is very much worth the money considering the features it contains and the ease of setting up varying projects.

But if you don't want to write any of the .Net languages or C++... well you're kind of buggered with Visual Studio. I've "heard" of hacks for it, but meh, never looked into those rumours... don't feel like hacking at Visual Studio like that.

Eclipse has potential, but there's a LOT of crap plug-ins out there... and sorting out the good from the bad is just pure hell.

As for support in Eclipse for the basics which I want... getting the compiler and debugger integrated is pretty simple... any tut on doing that for just about any language works.

Intelli-sense is a bit more work. I googled around for tutorials to get it working, and spent a weekend setting it up.

I did use the FlexBuilder plug-in for a while, like I said, but randomly the time thing would keep me from doing work for a couple days. And for some reason the debugger would always go hay wire on me... I didn't use any of it's advanced features really (of which there was barely any), in Windows I do use the Windows FlexBuilder which is MUCH better.

To bad they didn't put more work into the linux version. It obviously had potential, the Windows version is based on Eclipse as well so the proof is there... but meh. I've been scaling back my flash developing anyway... spending more time in the C/C++, .Net and Mono, and some game scripting engines (unrealscript namely). No more need to freelance in flash anymore.

The only reason I stick around here and actionscript.org is that these two communities are MUCH friendlier then any of the others I've come across. Oh God I stumbled into a VB forum... yeah that was a BAD experience. I can completely understand why the dev community as a whole laugh and taunt the VB users... they're a bunch of napoleans...

I use several:
    • Flash authoring
      • The original Flash IDE.
      • Most people still seem to use it.
      • The OSX and Windows versions are basically identical.
      • Its untitled projects are super fast for testing small, independent snippets of code.
      • The WYSIWYG editor is quite convenient for quickly making buttons or other things that are tedious to create with code (and it generates vanilla Sprites or MovieClips, not Flex buttons).
      • It has a debugger that is mostly the same as Flash Builder's if you need it.
    • Flash Builder
      • It's free (for me and plenty of other people)… although I bought Flex Builder 2 since it was worth the cost when it came out.
      • It can handle structured codebases and projects well.
      • The OSX and Windows versions are basically identical.
      • It doesn't have the Flash authoring drawing tools or stage, so they don't get in the way for code-only projects.
      • Its code complete is nice enough.
      • Swapping in new compilers is fast and doesn't (usually) require updating to Flex Builder (n+1).

I don't use:
    • FlashDevelop
      • It doesn't support Mac OS, which I use maybe 40% of the time (working in VMware is not as convenient as you'd think…).
      • The features that it does have over Flash Builder aren't particularly compelling.
      • I hate the elitist attitudes of many of its advocates…
    • FDT
      • It's expensive given what Flash Builder can do.
      • Not many people use it, so support seems like it'd be a drag…

My primary reason for not looking much into IDEs other than the ones that I use is that the combination of Flash authoring and Flash Builder is good enough.

Aside from IDEs, I use TextMate or an obscure Windows text editor when I just want something light (with syntax highlighting and proper code editing features) without a startup cost or project management overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofduct
    If you're using FlexBuilder in linux, that's just an eclipse plug-in. I just consider that to be Eclipse... seeing as you need eclipse already installed to install the linux version of flex builder.

(I put that in a different league as all it really does is integrate the debugger, compiler, and intelli-sense... where as the Windows version offers up tons of added features that aren't standard eclipse style things).
    It isn't just the Windows version that does that… the OSX version is basically the same as the Windows version, as far as I have noticed. No?

Re: All of the Visual Studio comments:
    Visual Studio is nice on the rare occasion that I use C#… but I really don't want to get too involved in the .NET ecosystem given that it's not particularly huge in academia, since it's basically all controlled by Microsoft and Microsoft Research. I don't even keep it installed on my main Windows machine anymore, since it installs a bunch of useless stuff that I disable immediately… Doing that for several versions of VS in a row became tedious, so I keep it installed in a VM.

I don't use Mac OSX, so I don't comment on any of the functionality of FlexBuilder/Flash in Mac OSX

As for .Net... my comments about Visual Studio were about it as an IDE and not on .Net itself.

.Net I'm on the fence about. I've jumped in and out of it time and time again. Right now I'm neck deep in it as it's what my job requires (I'm porting a huge VB6 project over to .Net, with hopes of keeping it operational in Mono in the future). I will say there is some good jobs in .Net.

I don't like the closed fashion of it, but in the same respect Microsoft has given greenlights to Novell with their Mono project (a few hiccups along the way though... not to be surprised from the big MS). But it isn't like Windows is going anywhere, and MS is integrating .Net into their architecture rather tightly making development for Windows machines very easy. And in the business world this makes for super fast development for business applications.

Just in the last 2 weeks I was able to set up a fully functional server that created a simple web/network interface to our proprietary database that supported several standards over TCP and Http. It was lightening fast to set up, and that is certainly a good thing!

Nevermind the fact that learning the languages in .Net (namely C#) certainly doesn't hurt. The concepts and practices can easily carry over to many other languages and help as a practicing grounds for quite a bit of stuff. It's not like I can't take the knowledge I've gained from it and take it elsewhere... actually that's how I've been able to pile up a whole bunch of languages I can work in.

If MS would make some efforts of their own to open .Net up some more and bring the CLR over to other platforms as well... it could easily out pace Java in a heartbeat. And then I know what side of the fence I stood on for sure.
    Last edited by lordofduct; August 16th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

I primarily use Flash Builder. The code hinting especially for flex 4, design view are the most important features I miss for other IDEs.
    I mostly use Windows XP. Occasionally Ubuntu.
    Apart from Flash Builder I use Vim (Gvim) with a couple of tweaks and customizations like as3, mxml syntax highlighting, neocomplcache plugin etc. I use wombat theme.
    I'm still missing code completion for flex 4. There is code completion for flex 3 and as3 Flash Player 9.
    I use vim as a light-weight editor just to go through some codes etc.

I use FDT in the office, where the company has put up the money for it. It was an expensive purchase, but even major revision upgrades are free and the support is actually quite good. The templating features are really good, and svn integration is pretty strong, but it does need an absurd amount of memory to run under windows (my Xmx value is 1024MB!). Using Ant is superb too, it's cool to be able to publish multiple flas with one click.

Flashdevelop.
    Best code completion of any other editor I've used (does flash builder complete 'function' for you yet?), fairly quick to launch, and as2 support make it an easy win.

I'm on a Mac. Flash IDE and TextMate—all code is done in TextMate, can't stand coding in the Flash IDE. Imho, the snippets you can set up in TextMate, make up for the lack of code completion—one person did write an AS3 bundle for TextMate that has code completion, but it wrecked all of my snippets so I stopped using it.

Hello everyone, I am going to use this thread for some research I am doing on kirupa.com. Please refer to this thread for more information: http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352411

I'm also on a mac and use the Flash IDE and TextMate. I do hate as well coding in the Flash IDE. TextMate has some very nice features such as text-folding, which make my life easier.

The reason I'm on Flash IDE is perhaps because I have not tried any other yet :p
    Last edited by andriusain; August 17th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Flash IDE for me, only because it's all I know and am used to.

I've gotten a *lot* deeper in "real" coding this past 18 months, though, so it might eventually be worth it to look into another solution...

FWIW, Flash CS5 did greatly improve code editing in the IDE.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information