The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: GUI and C++?

GUI and C++?

Can anybody recommend libraries for creating a GUI with C++? I've always created web applications with HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL/Flash and AS3, but I am now interested in creating desktop applications. Mainly because an executable file seems like it is without prerequisite plugins and software, such as a web browser is necessary to view web documents.

Again, my main interest is in creating a graphical interface that a user can utilize the mouse and keyboard for input.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Thanks Dom_, this looks like it will do what I need! I would still appreciate any other recommendations.

Well if you're running a unix system, you can use GTK, and if you're running windows, you can use the Win32 API

Yeah I am running windows. Thanks. Great blog, btw. Love the C program that find color aggregates!
    http://www.miketmoore.com
    KIRK: What answers? SPOCK: Is this all I am? Is there not more?

You can use Adobe AIR.

Allegro. End of story. It's open source. It's stable. It can do anything you need, very flexible. You make what you want to happen. If you want predefined GUIs, go somewhere else, but if you want to create your own GUIs completely, Allegro is one of the best out there for C++.

Without knowing more, wxWidgets, Qt, Visual Studio, or the lightweight FLTK are all good options.

Big things to consider:
    - Does it need to be cross platform? If so, it is doable in C++, but another language like Java will have you spending a lot less time testing compatibility and more time building your interface.
    - Commercial or free?
    - Whats your level of proficiency?
    - What built-in components do you need?

@jase21, i like the way you think

Quote Originally Posted by debrah.h48 View Post
    The definitive book to pick up would be charles petzolds "programming windows"
    He didn't even mention windows

Hi everybody. Thank-you for you input. I hope there is more! I will probably be looking into Adobe Air and Java, as I am more concerned with the interface and functionality. Originally I was interested in learning C++ (mostly for enjoyment). But, time is fleeting and practicality is winning over enjoyment at this point :-)
    http://www.miketmoore.com
    KIRK: What answers? SPOCK: Is this all I am? Is there not more?

QT, Wxwidgets are cross platform. You can also use Mono.net for C#/VB applications, mono is also cross platform, free and open source.

Quote Originally Posted by savagelook View Post
    Without knowing more, wxWidgets, Qt, Visual Studio, or the lightweight FLTK are all good options.

Big things to consider:
    - Does it need to be cross platform? If so, it is doable in C++, but another language like Java will have you spending a lot less time testing compatibility and more time building your interface.
    - Commercial or free?
    - Whats your level of proficiency?
    - What built-in components do you need?

@jase21, i like the way you think
    Ha ha ! Thanks

Thread Information