Thread: Preloading Ideas

Preloading Ideas

Hey guys, I am building a flash website that requires the whole browser window and I need my flash file to resize to the size of the browser window on resizing.

This is not my question however, what is is I want to know what the best solution to preloading my content would be. I have used the technique where you have your preloader in one SWF file and your main content in another file. So the preloader will just preload the entire flash as a whole. This is a really easy solution but I feel I will have problems when the browser window is getting resized because I don't know how to change the swf's(main file) width and height properties with actionscript. I have heard that you can't do this and its only possible with javascript.

If I can't use that technique then I was wondering if there were any advanced techniques that could be used to load a bunch of content in the preloader and have progress bar react to the max size of all content being loaded.

Thanks in advance

You don't have to resize your swf manually, there are a couple of options in the Publish Settings window that control this.

Quote Originally Posted by BoppreH View Post
    You don't have to resize your swf manually, there are a couple of options in the Publish Settings window that control this.
    Yes that does work but that effects the SWF which is the preloader.swf and the preloader loads my main.swf. The main.swf is the one I want to resize with the browser window. But im not going to use the preloader to load my main.swf anymore Im just going to have it in my main.swf and have it preload content the harder way.

This brings me to another question. How would you handle preloading multiple things on the stage like images and sound files so that the totalBytes would be the total of all the objects. Just so I can create a progress bar that looks like its loading all content instead of one at a time.

Thanks again

Just sum all the total and loaded bytes and divide accordingly.

But you could set the resizing of the loader and affect the main swf. I have a website that is done this way, and it even works with fluid layout and all.

Just give it a try and experiment with the StageScale property.

Quote Originally Posted by BoppreH View Post
    Just sum all the total and loaded bytes and divide accordingly.

But you could set the resizing of the loader and affect the main swf. I have a website that is done this way, and it even works with fluid layout and all.

Just give it a try and experiment with the StageScale property.
    Ok will do

Thanks BoppreH

On the link below you find an example of how you can create a preloader that is included in your main swf (similar functionality as the built in preloader in flex):
    http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=946

Thread Information