Thread: ASDoc hates Vector... "Type not found..."

ASDoc hates Vector... "Type not found..."

Since I do not enjoy typing in insanely long path names in command prompts, I decided to use FlashDevelop's "ActionScript Documentation Generator".

However, after I click "Generate", the ASDoc exe gives the following error message:
    Code:
    C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Documentation>"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flex SDK 3\bin\asdoc.exe" -doc-sources "C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Class\aRenberg\utils" -main-title "DebugText - lightweight, onscreen, visual tracing tool" -output "C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Documentation" -external-library-path "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flex SDK 3\frameworks\libs\player\10\playerglobal.swc" 
    Loading configuration file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flex SDK 3\frameworks\flex-config.xml
    C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Class\aRenberg\utils\DebugText.as(81): col: 25 Error: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: Vector.
            private var textArray:Vector.<String> = new Vector.<String>();
                                  ^
    C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Class\aRenberg\utils\DebugText.as(81): col: 47 Error: Access of undefined property Vector.
                                                        ^
    C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Class\aRenberg\utils\DebugText.as(81): col: 47 Error: Access of undefined property Vector.
                                                        ^
    The code runs just fine when testing it, but when generating ASDoc, it gives me the error.

I tried adding that "-external-library-path" line by the recommendation of a blog entry, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    http://www.daveoncode.com/2009/05/04...air-framework/

Google only gives me one other site, which doesn't give me anything.

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASDoc Generator Problem.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	51185  
    Blog article of the month: Why My One Line 'if' Statements Are Unusual
    Twitter: @IQAndreas
    GitHub: IQAndreas

* Be sure to add proper playerglobals.swc to the classpath.
    * If it still cannot find it - copy the intrinsic for Vector class from FD/Library folder and add it to your project in the root folder... however, in such case ASDocs may try to document it too...

I support FlashDevelop (the .NET open source editor for Flash and web developers)
    couchsurfing if you need it

Quote Originally Posted by wvxvw View Post
    * Be sure to add proper playerglobals.swc to the classpath.
    * If it still cannot find it - copy the intrinsic for Vector class from FD/Library folder and add it to your project in the root folder... however, in such case ASDocs may try to document it too...
    Tried both options. Neither worked. The first one gave the same error message, the second one gave a different one:
    Code:
    C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Documentation>"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flex SDK 3\bin\asdoc.exe" -doc-sources "C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Class" -main-title "DebugText - lightweight, onscreen, visual tracing tool" -output "C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Documentation" 
    Loading configuration file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flex SDK 3\frameworks\flex-config.xml
    C:\Programming\Flash\Projects\DebugText\Class\Vector.as(4): col: 21 Error: Syntax error: expecting leftbrace before dotlessthan.
        public class Vector.<T>
                           ^
    I attached the image of which fields are filled out. Could I be doing something wrong?

It gives me errors even if I remove "Vector" from "exclude classes".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASDoc Generator Problem2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	51186  

It looks like this is an older version of ASDocs, maybe it just doesn't understand Vector's syntax, maybe try SDK 4.X?

I support FlashDevelop (the .NET open source editor for Flash and web developers)
    couchsurfing if you need it

That worked, wvxvw! Many thanks. I usually avoid using betas in release as the chances of users actually having that release downloaded is rare, but since all ASDoc does is generate HTML files, my rules no longer apply.

In case anyone stumbles upon this, here is the (current) link to download Flex 4 SDK Beta:
    http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/dis...ownload+Flex+4

There's also ASDocr?

I solved the "Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: Vector" issue by upgrading to Flex 4 beta, and setting -compiler.strict=false on the commandline. Not sure which fixed it, but there ya go.

I had similar issues when using the command line compiler to generate my ASDocs. I set the target player compiler option to version 10.0.0 and that seems to fix the problem.

Code:
    -target-player=10.0.0
    I am using Ant to generate my ASDocs, it looks something like this:

PHP Code:
    <target name="compileASDoc">
        <echo>
    ASDoc Compiling...</echo>
        <
    exec executable="${FLEX_HOME}/bin/asdoc.exe" failonerror="true">
            <
    arg line="-doc-sources '${basedir}\src'" />
            <
    arg line="-output '${basedir}\asdoc'" />
            <
    arg line="-target-player=10.0.0"/>
        </
    exec>
        <echo>
    ASDoc Compile Complete</echo>
    </
    target
    Last edited by Scottae; January 4th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

Thread Information