The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Building Web Site from scratch

Building Web Site from scratch

Hi!

I am trying to build a story sharing website for children, but really don't know where to start.

Can somebody please list down the steps I need to follow? Also what are the programming languages one needs to know and what other specific skills are required? Is JAVA necessary?

Also, what is the approximate time-frame I should be looking at for completion of this project?

The easiest route for a beginner would be php for a programming language and MySQL for a database. No Java is required.

You'll also need an html+css front end to display the information.

As for the time to completion, that depends on how long it takes you to learn enough php to do this. What kind of time frame do you need it to be done by?

Honestly if you don't know how to program, or where to start, it's going to be difficult.

Shoot me a PM with a full description of what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe I can help you out.

You could simply just study some HTML if it's a simple website and you don't have much time to work on it.

If you really wanna go pro. Get WordPress. You can download it (at WordPress.org) and install it on your webhosting space or you can sign up for a WordPress site at WordPress.com.

If you want to customize your WordPress installation, you will need to know your way around HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL.

No need to learn JAVA.
    "You are playing a very dangerous game"
    "Change always is"

Creativo Development

Just want to add Drupal to the mix. Drupal is really good at collaborative works and allowing multiple users to be able to add content. The time frame is going to be: as long as it takes to get it right (or acceptable). If you went the Drupal route, you would most likely not be modifying any PHP or HTML code, but more likely picking a theme and altering its CSS to look how you want. You need to be familiar with using an FTP program like Filezilla. Since you are new, I would estimate it taking you a few months. Break it out into small chunks: first, you need to turn your computer into a development environment so you can test things out without the hassle of uploading it to a server:

Development Stage:
    1. Download and install one of the following WAMP/MAMP/LAMP (Google it, the first letter is for the operating system; i.e. WAMP = Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP). Take note of any passwords you have created in this process.
    2. Read tutorials on setting it up, it's very easy. When you are done you will have a folder on your computer called either public_html or www, that is where you will put files to test. If you are on Windows or Mac, the administrative interface for the *AMP program should give you one-click access to this folder
    3. Download Drupal or Wordpress and unarchive the folder to your public_html or www folder. You want the index.php file to be in your www directory, not a subfolder of it.
    4. Navigate to http://localhost/, you should have some sort of webpage or an error message
    5. Come back here when you get this far and we can talk about setting up a database

Hope this helps you!

Thread Information