The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Code Repository

Code Repository

I've seen some programmers storing their code at Google Code or other code repositories. I don't know if I should hop on that wagon.

Are there any benefits of storing your code at a code repository? Why would someone do that? Is there a code repository you recommend?
    "You are playing a very dangerous game"
    "Change always is"

Creativo Development

1. Are there any benefits of storing your code at a code repository?
    2. Why would someone do that?
    3. Is there a code repository you recommend?

-----
    1. Quick easy access to snippets
    2. See #1
    3. Personally I developed my own. But http://snipplr.com/ is a great place to store them. you can have private repositories or public ones. also integrates into Textmate, if you use it (which I don't think you do)
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

Version control is useful for a lot more than that. Google using version control for some explanation.

Personally, I like Darcs. Other distributed VCS's are good, too.

K-Emmys-06: Best Footer; and K-Emmys-06: Most Active Member

Thanks for your answers, I'm already looking at that up.

Simplistik, what do you mean you developed your own code repository?
    "Change always is"

Creativo Development

Well it's quite simple. All it is, is basically a DB that stores snippets of code. I use SVN for my work, but I use my code repository for my snippets.

The DB itself is retardedly simple, 3 tables, a language table, a code table, and a taxonomy/history table. The history table is just so I can roll back to a previous version of the snippet if I need, much like a SVN, just not nearly as robust. The language table is self explanatory, it just holds all language types that I use, which then gets used to generate the proper syntax highlighting when it's displayed.
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

With subversion control, you check in your code a few times a day. This allows you to roll back to an old version if you made some catastrophic mistake from which you couldn't recover. Another reason for checking in your code is that the files are stored on a separate machine, so if you accidentally deleted files or your whole computer got stolen, then your year's worth of code can be easily recovered. Finally, it's much easier to collaborate between a group of programmers because SVN automatically merges all of your code together.

Google Code's SVN is rather nice. Good navigation, color coding, bug tracking. I don't believe it can be made private, though. So if you have top secret code, you might want to set up your own SVN.

Awesome! all good suggestions

I've been finding myself wasting precious time to understand functions and classes I wrote months or weeks ago. So I'm going to invest some time into commenting according to PHP standards and using a code repository. For now I will use an existing code repository and maybe once I learn more about it I could probably design my own.

I'm googling dreamweaver code retrospection (code hints from comments) but I seem to find nothing.

Any tips about code retrospection you may have?
    "Change always is"

Creativo Development

I know this "code retrospection" you speak of as "intellisense". It was made popular by Microsoft Visual Studio, but has since been implemented by only a handful IDE's. The only good one I know of is Komodo Edit http://www.activestate.com/komodo_edit/ . There's a free version there that I use. If you comment your functions with Javadocs (like I said in your other thread), then you will see code hints when you begin typing your methods.

Thread Information