The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: creating a random equation

creating a random equation

im having a bit of difficulty on this one...

how would you go about creating a random equation? i would like to randomly generate two individual numbers, a random operator (out of +, -, *, /) between these numbers and then the user would input a number to answer the equation... any thoughts on this?

Use Math.random to select a number. Pick an element from the operator array containing ["+", "-", "*", "/"].
    Again Math.random for getting the first and second numbers within a range.
    Use a string conditional check for the operator selected and perform the necessary calculations to check the result.

Hope that helps.

thanks for that, umm i have been able to create random number and also random operators from an array, but i think i may have confused myself... how would you go about performing the calculations?

Code:
    switch(moperator)
    {
        case "+":
            mresult=mnum1+mnum2;
            break;
        case "-":
            mresult=mnum1-mnum2;
            break;
        case "*":
            mresult=mnum1*mnum2;
            break;
        case "/":
            mresult=mnum1/mnum2;
            break;
    }
    txtresult.text=mresult;

^ if you don't need the operator string (i.e. "+") for anything else, you an actually skip the operator in the array middleman and do excogitator's switch directly with the random numbers

Thread Information