The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: php compatibility check?

php compatibility check?

Does anyone know of a php compatibility checker?

Similar to http://www.meandeviation.com/tutoria...-syntax-check/

It would be cool if there is hidden gem out there that could tell me the minimum required version of php to run my scripts ^_^.

Anyway if you know of something similar or other online syntax checkers please let me know.

maybe I'm missing the point, but when you dev, surely you know what version of php is your base minimum to be developing in? Unless you're just throwing your scripts at any old server, in which case you'd surely still need a minimum stable spec for any kind of dev work.

sorry. Just can't see the point man. some elaboration may well clarify things. Plus I have had three large ciders now, after beginning my holiday today!
    before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes...
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" - Danonthemoon
    She asked for a double entendre, so I gave her one...
    "screw ie. it can lick my balls" - A.J. Cates

Mostly this is something you do not have to worry about....

If the php version is higher or equal to the php version of the development environment, you're all good.

99% of the time your scripts will work on earlyer versions to... unless you're using some really fancy code

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

^ I'd second that...

but in the spirit of drunken debate I had a little postulate over a cigarette about your post...

if you have a script (scripts) that hinge on working on any server, and need some kind of check as to system capabilities you could check out http://uk.php.net/function_exists

This would be useful if versioning couldn't necessarily determine what modules were available also. You could maybe supply a few tests for certain pieces of functionality such as xml parsing functions, or whatever you definately require. Maybe after that you could "install" your product on the server or not depending on whether compatibility was cool or not!

Hope I haven't missed the point too much, but that was a great cigarette!
    before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes...
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" - Danonthemoon
    She asked for a double entendre, so I gave her one...
    "screw ie. it can lick my balls" - A.J. Cates

Thanks for the input guys.

I've been working (for quite a while) on a flash cms. All browser based and SEO (publishes alt content and uses swfAddress). I'm just about finished and need to work out the minimum server requirements or even reduce them if necessary.

So really I was just looking for the most efficient solution... I guess I'll just go through each script and take notes one what functions I used and check their compatibility. Nothing too complex so fingers crossed.

Thread Information