The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: having a child detect when the mouse leaves the stage

having a child detect when the mouse leaves the stage

I'm using the following to detect when the mouse leaves the stage, which is working fine until I try to add my movie as a child inside another swf when preloading. Then it breaks with a runtime error. I've tried playing around with adding the eventlistener to the parent stage, but can't see to get it to work.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Code:
    stage.addEventListener(Event.MOUSE_LEAVE, hideMe);

You need to pass the stage as a param..
    Code:
    mychild.myfunction(stage);

//in your child place
    public function myfunction(s:stage){
        s.addEventListener(Event.MOUSE_LEAVE, hideMe);
    }

Any time you load a swf into another swf you don't want the swf you're loading to reference the stage until it is added to the stage. That is, using addChild to add it to the stage because the stage reference for the loaded swf is null until it is added to the display list somewhere in the swf you're loading into. So before adding the event listener to the stage reference you need to check that the swf you're loading has been added to the stage. You do this by adding the following code to the swf you're loading.

this.addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, onAddedToStage);

and then you can put your code that references the stage inside the event handler like the following:

function onAddedToStage(e:Event):void
    {
    stage.addEventListener(blah blah);
    }

Hope this helps.

Yes, this makes perfect sense and helps a lot. Thanks!

Thread Information