Thread: Python: Free IDE?

Python: Free IDE?

As I'm sure Jeff will be glad to know, I'm now learning to program—excuse me, script—with Python. I'd like to know if there is a half-way decent and completely free IDE other than Notepad + IDLE. Thanks!
    Just another tech blog.
    (...but with me!)

Why use an IDE? I suggest a plain code editor like Yi or Vim.

K-Emmys-06: Best Footer; and K-Emmys-06: Most Active Member

^I think he wants an IDE for the autocomplete (makes development go a lot faster).

http://www.openkomodo.com/
    Last edited by Templarian; November 8th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Join #kirupa | Click the ƒ under my Username | CL | Jeff

I want an IDE for the ease of testing the program; in AS3, I can just hit control + enter any time to run my program and see how it works. I'm also unsure of how readable Python errors are. Oh, and the Komodo IDE is free for just 21 days; I was looking for real open-source. I can't use Yi either, because I'm on windows.
    Just another tech blog.
    (...but with me!)

^That's not komodo IDE that I linked.

Bottom left is the link btw to download Komodo Edit (kind of like the free version of komodo).

Join #kirupa | Click the ƒ under my Username | CL | Jeff

I’m pretty sure it’s possible to run Yi on Windows, although it probably sucks.

Emacs lets you run your program from inside its GUI. It might be worth trying.

I didn't know Emacs ran on windows; I'll have to try it out. Thanks!
    Just another tech blog.
    (...but with me!)

I've never used it for Python (only Ruby) but Aptana now has a plugin for python. http://aptana.com/python It's an IDE based on Eclipse. Aptana has really been getting very popular these days with AIR, Ruby on Rails, and iPhone intergration all build in. Dave

Meh, I generally like the lightweight software. I would have installed Emacs by now, but I have no idea whether to use barebin or bin. I was expecting to find a windows installer somewhere, but to no avail. If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it. *stares at Jeff*
    Just another tech blog.
    (...but with me!)

This might help: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/wi...ng-Emacs.html; I’ve never personally installed Emacs on Windows, though.

Thanks, but I think I got it working now. Sort of. How do you make it launch a python script?
    Just another tech blog.
    (...but with me!)

Thread Information