Thread: Linux Users?

Linux Users?

I recently moved from Fedora 8 to Ubuntu 8.04. I have a rather... unique keyboard (link), but the problem occurs with a few other people i've talked to with extra keys.

A few keys don't repeat properly. using xev, I press these keys, particularly the red ones, and they emit a keyPress and keyRelease at the same time, as opposed to waiting for the physical key to go up before emitting a keyRelease.

Does anyone know how I can at least get the red keys to release at the right time so I can play my games again?
    Last edited by theCodeBot; September 27th, 2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Clarity, a lot less text

Bump.

Bumpity bump.

Bump and hope for no more retarded ads.

You are not getting answers because your question is incredibly specific, even to the point of including strange hardware, and there are only a limited number of Linux users on this forum.

Not only that, timing issues on keypresses are probably not going to be solved without going into a very low-level region of the system, perhaps in the drivers for your keyboard.

K-Emmys-06: Best Footer; and K-Emmys-06: Most Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler View Post
    You are not getting answers because your question is incredibly specific, even to the point of including strange hardware, and there are only a limited number of Linux users on this forum.

Not only that, timing issues on keypresses are probably not going to be solved without going into a very low-level region of the system, perhaps in the drivers for your keyboard.
    To be more general, the MERC isn't the only hardware that suffers this problem.
    Many people have some additional keys on their keyboard and many such keys experience the problem. In xev, for ubuntu only, keyPress and keyRelease emit with the same timestamp. xset r fails, etc.

The keyboard has no driver, it's counted as a plug-and-play peripheral, and all but the extra keys and the numpad work right off the bat. Numpad takes a quick look at xmodmap, and the rest of the keyboard binds fine this way.

Under Fedora, I had no problems. It's just that the Ubuntu Kernel is handling the keys differently, and I was wondering how to treat the keys as, well, keys, and not press-release buttons.

So … it’s part of the driver. Every device has a driver, even if it’s generic.

So Ö itís part of the driver. Every device has a driver, even if itís generic.
    That figures. I've never looked into drivers... any pointers to writing one, then?

You won’t be writing one, but editing the existing one. It’s probably easiest to try to find an appropriate place to file a bug report.

It might also help to look at the differences in the kernel configuration for Ubuntu and Fedora.

You wonít be writing one, but editing the existing one. Itís probably easiest to try to find an appropriate place to file a bug report.

It might also help to look at the differences in the kernel configuration for Ubuntu and Fedora.
    I can't seem to find where there's any pointers on actually editing the driver... or copying it, for that matter in case i mess something up lol. Where could I find this information?

#linux

#linux
    Huh? Is that an IRC channel? (something I'm not a member of lol)

Yes, IRC.

Yes, IRC.
    Found a tutorial on Debian drivers from '06... 19 pages, let's see if I can grasp it
    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...nux?page=0%2C1

Maybe contact the people who made the keyboard lol? Maybe they have updates for the drivers or somethin'....

Thread Information