The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: coloring pixels

coloring pixels

What's the simplest way to create a, say, 640 x 480 px window and color each pixel individually? I'm familiar with the OpenGL library, but never done any 2D work in it. Do you suggest I use OpenGL or some other library?

Do you just want an image or do you want to arbitrarily generate a pattern at runtime? I'm guessing by OpenGL you want the latter. With DirectX this is prett easy since it is an image manipulation library by pixel...
    If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

"Are you doing anything tonight? If not, how about me?"

Opera Sucks! - FIX IT
    Oliver Zheng

I need to say something like: color red -> x:14, y:16. I don't need to use images.

Well i wrote my 3D game engine in C++ using DirectX, however sinse you said you are already familiar with OpenGL then find a tutorial on the Internet in doing it. It also depends on the type of system you want to develop on. If your developing on Windows or for Windows, I would suggest you use DirectX sinse it is the standard for the operating system. However if you decide you wan't to develop accross platform, then OpenGL is portable in that way. However think about it carefully because you don't want to start on one, regret it, then find it difficult to move to the other. Unless the librarys are extremly similar but I wouldn't know because i havent used OpenGL :S.

Conclusion: choose; find tutorial; make; succeed .

EDIT: Does the window need to be fullscreen?
    Last edited by dozza92; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:29 PM.

I found some code that let's you do 2D in OpenGL:

http://basic4gl.wikispaces.com/2D+Drawing+in+OpenGL

Yeah, I stick with OpenGL then because of the cross compatibility.

Thread Information