Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I really know in C#?

What should I really know in C#?

Learning a language shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. And even if one wants to go deeper, it still shouldn't take more than a month, in my opinion...

I've been going through almost all things here: (http://www.java2s.com/Tutorial/CSharp/CatalogCSharp.htm) and it's taking quite a long time.

This question is directed to Kirupa, and other people who have been doing C# stuff: How long did it take you guys to learn C#? What stuff (important things) should I really focus on when learning C#? Any tips you can give me to speed up my learning process?

There's one problem with that site. Sometimes it has the same article multiplied many times. I like how they just have examples, but they also don't give any description. I don't really want to go through a book, because that would take even longer for me.

Another thing I should mention is that once I've gotten hang of the OOP in C#, it's just matter of reiterating with different classes. Meaning, once I know how to use a class and such, I can go ahead and do same for some different class and so on...

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help! The thing is my university started, and I don't want to give up on C# now, and at the same time I want to balance C# and school. Thanks again!

Uhh... I think that link you showed explains about everything one should ever need to know. Most of that goes past my knowledge.

For me, I just sat down and went through all the most used controls and looked how they can be used. C# as a language is pretty "standard" so everything is what one would expect for the most part. Although the more I've used it I find that most open source controls make life so much better, so make sure not to limit yourself to just windows controls.

Kirupa will have a different perspective though as he uses WPF (and I use windows forms)

• Database Integration is something you should look into as its needed in a lot of projects... other than that it really depends on your projects.
    • While you use it you will notice when you need a data type... the good thing is to always assume x data type exists because it probably does.
    Last edited by Templarian; August 28th, 2008 at 08:46 AM.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Thanks Temp! You and others have been great helpers these days!
    I wish a few more people would pitch in to guide me here...

The best way to learn a language is to actually build smaller applications that actually do something useful. There is no magic answer to how much or what you really need to know. If you already know other programming languages, the major differences are in syntax and which classes to use.

Also, the java2s site is just random code snippets with no real explanation on what the code actually does. You will probably like the C# section on http://msdn.microsoft.com more since you get a good overview of almost all topics with code snippets and an explanation.

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

Quote Originally Posted by kdd View Post
    Learning a language shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. And even if one wants to go deeper, it still shouldn't take more than a month, in my opinion...
    I dare you to learn assembler in a week.

Took me half a year to reach a level I thought was "adept" ;p

kdd, while your learning also if you find something cool that you feel should be explained in a tutorial I know k' is always looking for them.

I actually like java2s site. I can follow the code very well, and when I've encounter any problem, I've been able to find solution. Yes Kirupa, you're right, I should build small applications for my own knowledge.

sekasi, good lord no thanks! That's one thing that can't be done...

Temp, I'm not understanding you exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by kdd View Post
    Temp, I'm not understanding you exactly.
    If you find something that was challenging or interesting write a tutorial.

(don't know how to really explain it a different way)

Linq is pretty sweet. Linq to Object has saved me a lot of looping and a lot of code, especially using the shorthand style.

It took me 1 yr to understand the proper flow of the language and its been 3 yrs am on it. But do ur own projects thats how u learn. Say make a word processing editor then maybe some other cool stuffs.

Hi kdd.
    I agree with you that Learning any language shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks but its for those who know what is software language and for those who know the basic language. By the way your comments aspiring me.
    Thanks for sharing a link.

Forget C#, Db is easier.
    Proud Montanadian
    We tolerate living and breathing. And niches.

Name Brand Watches

Maybe getTimer() or TweenMax is the answer to your problem . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian View Post
    Forget C#, Db is easier.
    Hmm... what does Db stand for? (can't seem to find anything about it in google).

Db as in D flat as in D flat major scale which is enharmonic to C# major but simpler to play because it has less accidentals. Just a stupid music joke that flew over everyone(except for Krilnon)'s head

(this post was not edited by Krilnon)
    Proud Montanadian
    We tolerate living and breathing. And niches.

Name Brand Watches

Maybe getTimer() or TweenMax is the answer to your problem . . .

You music people and your inside jokes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information