The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Beginning x86 assembly [FASM]

Beginning x86 assembly [FASM]

OK. So what now?

Does anyone here on kirupa have x86 assembly experience?
    (For those who dont know what x86 is, its a low-level language. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_assembly)
    I have JUST started to learn x86 assembly for windows, and have basically made a 'Hello World!' with it. I can understand the hello world code quite easily.

But then I hit a wall, there is like no help on starting x86 out there..
    What now...

Its hard as hell to get started in x86 assembly =/

So if anyone has x86 assembly experience.... can you point me in the right direction?

i have some exposure to assembly, however that was in a class where we didnt really do much hard coding. do you have any more specfic questions, so that i can let you know if i know enough?

Ahh OK here is a good question.
    I want to see how assembly is coded compared to say, a C++ program (or C, and yes I know that there will be a few random things that C will throw into it)
    So If I make a simple program that prints out hmm.. the Fibonacci numbers, I want to "disassemble" the C++ code into assembly and that way I can compare the two and see the extra stuff C++ will put in it.
    So.. What is the easiest way to do this? / How can this be done?

I used to code assembler back in the day of the gathering in denmark and assembly in finland. I have no clue on online resources but I know there are a LOT of good solid books you can buy on the topic..

Quote Originally Posted by Sp˙rL View Post
    Ahh OK here is a good question.
    I want to see how assembly is coded compared to say, a C++ program (or C, and yes I know that there will be a few random things that C will throw into it)
    So If I make a simple program that prints out hmm.. the Fibonacci numbers, I want to "disassemble" the C++ code into assembly and that way I can compare the two and see the extra stuff C++ will put in it.
    So.. What is the easiest way to do this? / How can this be done?
    Well, u could use ollydbg and see what happens in both the cases.. probably u will just see some extra machine code in the program done in c++.
    Anyway there are lots of tutorials around, just search in google or, if u want a good assembly reference, look here

its a nice PDF of a book, starts from the beginning but you can skip forward and continue from where you left off. Linux based but assembly non-the-less.

Programming From the Ground Up

Start using something like W32dasm or HIEW if you want to see something dissassembled. IDA is great, but expensive.

Ollydbg is more of a debugger than a disassembler and can be confusing for newbies.

I guarantee you'll see HUGE differences in the code you write in ASM, and the ASM generated by a C++ compiler.

If you use linux you can turn C++ to assembly by simply doing gcc -s main.cpp foo.s. I've only programmed assembly for the sparc processor, so I'm not sure what x86 is like.

As mentioned there is a huge difference. Compilers suck at writing clean assembly so you can remove a lot of the stuff normally and it will still function the same way. It's one of the reasons RISC architecture is so important.

thanks for the advice guys!

Nice PDF btw dozza, its pretty fat lol. but it seems to touch on alot of things which is good,
    even though it is GNU/linux, and god knows how old, i dont care, ill run a virtual linux and see how i go.

and btw TheColonial, I learnt how to use Ollydbg, but then I forgot, and Ive been confusing myself with it since. haha

Thanks again people much appreciated.

Thread Information