Thread: Too many classes in C#?

Too many classes in C#?

It is a bit overwhelming to see this many number of classes and stuff. I'm doing xml related stuff using the tutorial here (http://www.kirupa.com/net/reading_xml_directly_pg1.htm), and there are 4 classes used in the first 5 lines of code. Of course, it's not too difficult once one can get used to it, but right now it seems too much.

Also, because of this "overwhelmity," it's a bit confusing as to what class to choose/use for one's own purpose. There's like xmldocument, xmlDataDocument, xmlReader. They either extend another, or do a bit different thing than the other. All this makes things too confusing...

How did you deal with that?

Thanks!

Visual Studio's intellisense is godly it describes all functions. Work on not hitting enter too fast for the auto complete and it will tell you everything you need to know about the function. Or select the word your confused about and hit F1, you can instantly see an example of how to use it and more.

kdd, you really just need to get use to visual studio or program in other languages and find out how much harder it could be.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Or you could go with LINQ and just have an XDocument and XElement: http://blog.kirupa.com/?p=227

To answer your question, though, because there are a LOT of things you can do with XML and variations of XML, you can't just write an application by cycling through any class that has to do with XML. Since you are trying to learn the language, I would suggest you turn intellisense off. That is what I did when I was learning C# (and Java before that).

If you are interested in knowing why classes in .NET seem related or extended from each other, the Framework Design Guidelines is an excellent reference.

Intellisense should be used as a shortcut. It shouldn't be used as a guide when you are traveling through unchartered territory.

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

Temp, I always wait for IS to show all the stuff, but again, there is lots of stuff in c#.

I agree Kirupa, I turned off IS. It's not good when "learning" c#. I've done Java, so I know why classes need to be extended and such, but still lots of classes.

What my question was: Did you guys find it overwhelming at first or is it just me?

Thanks!

When I first started it was, then after a while it seems perfect. The only problem I have is that its Strong Typed and some of the methods are not overloaded enough, but one gets use to it.

Also yea constantly read Kirupa's blog the stuff he shows in it is really useful, plus it saves the time of having to search around latter.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

It was a little overwhelming for me too, but you'll get then hang of it. C# and using the NTier model for a couple of my recent projects, has made me a much better object-orient programmer.

Thread Information