Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Limit user choices in a combobox

Limit user choices in a combobox

I am starting a C# Winforms application where part of the main data entry form consists of seven comboboxes allowing the user to select a single item from each combobox, or leave the column blank if they so choose. I am representing the choices in the comboboxes as text, of course, but in my main table I will store the unique ID (int) that they choose.

I want the user to be able to maintain the lists that populate the seven comboboxes. What is the best database design for doing this? I have tried two different methodologies so far. First I created seven tables, one for each combobox, since each one has a different meta data type. The tables had three columns - ID, Name, and Description. The ID was the primary key that I related to the main table.

Then I thought it would be better to combine all seven lists into one "meta data" table by simply adding a TYPEID column to the table. That made designing the form to maintain the meta data lists a bit easier. However, when I try to relate my "metadata" table to my main table ON MULTIPLE COLUMNS AND enforce referential integrity I get the following error in the SQL Designer and the VS Dataset Designer:

" Introducing FOREIGN KEY constraint 'FK_docs_status' on table 'docs' may cause cycles or multiple cascade paths. Specify ON DELETE NO ACTION or ON UPDATE NO ACTION, or modify other FOREIGN KEY constraints. "

I am not allowing the user to modify the uique ID in the metadata table. However, when the user deletes one of the metadata "status" items, I want to "Set Null" the status column in my docs table.

What is the best design pattern? Should I maintain seven different "metadata" tables?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Slider16; August 10th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.

Thread Information