Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Quick question about silverlight

Quick question about silverlight

I have an intense hate for it, is there any reason i shouldn't. I've been reading about it from time to time in its development, it looks pretty terrible at the moment, will it get better? I don't think it will ever beat flash, but then again, maybe they shouldn't be compared because they are two different applications
    (Too many walls.)
    http://saxxdev.com

What exactly do you dislike about it?

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

saxx it has no chance to beat flash. Its good in that it uses a very solid language backing. Its just not even remotely comparable to flash atm (its like flash 8 tbh if they were to be compared).

I have a good feeling once its further in development and MS has integrated all of DX10/DX11 support we will be seeing a lot more of it (probably because of a windows update).

Till then its just something to mess around with. Think of it more as a JAVA in your browser... everyone eventually will have it... but very few will use it.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Well every website i've went to thats fully made in silverlight runs at a crawl in firefox, and plus it just seems like a flash copy minus the good parts, and tacking on some lame stuff that i don't like
    (Too many walls.)

Well, I'm pretty biased since I work on the Expression Blend team

Silverlight is a great alternative for the numerous developers who already have knowledge in C# and want a way to port their desktop applications to run on the web. Silverlight 2 is basically a lite version of WPF which is quite a powerful framework for creating desktop apps.

The combination of Visual Studio for coding and something like Expression Blend for the design makes creating Silverlight applications extremely simple - especially for the numerous individuals out there who don't have any knowledge in ActionScript but do have a more formal background in Java, C++, VB, etc. You can even import and use assets created in 3rd party apps such as Fireworks (which is what I do), Photoshop, etc. as well.

Temp - you do know that Java is probably one of the most widely used platforms a whole host of applications right?

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

^I know... but I was referring to its use in browsers.

When I said it just doesn't compare I meant even for the most basic things it sucks more cpu than even flash 8. I give it 3 more years and it will be MS's main form of media for all its partner sites.

Even your strong bias can admit its runs like a snail in the browser.

Hardly - performance is one of the big advantages of Silverlight. It runs a similar version of the .NET CLR in it! What are the examples that you've seen that run slowly?

I think you'll see more overhead in rendering from Silverlight since they spend a little more time in rendering making for cleaner shapes, even compared to Flash. Code-wise, Silverlight has the upperhand when it comes to performance - in most cases. Flash can keep up and beat it in many situations, but at the lower levels, Silverlight (C#) is just a beast. (I think as of beta 1, I know Silverlight suffered with some string operations, but they should be able to tighten that up before final release.)

Quote Originally Posted by kirupa View Post
    Hardly - performance is one of the big advantages of Silverlight. It runs a similar version of the .NET CLR in it! What are the examples that you've seen that run slowly?
    So Silverlight 2 runs way better than 1.0 on some of the sites you showed us. I take it back.

Plus I mean there a good chance Silverlight will have DX/OpenGL support before Flash gets any where close to full 3d support.

Can Silverlight load .x models yet?
    Last edited by Templarian; July 21st, 2008 at 07:51 PM.

I still don't think flash and silverlight are comparable, they'll be used for different things in the end anyways.
    (Too many walls.)

Microsoft had better bundle the Silverlight plugin with Windows 7. And it had better be available on bloody Opera. Great platform as I see it, terrible penetration right now.
    If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

"Are you doing anything tonight? If not, how about me?"

Opera Sucks! - FIX IT
    Oliver Zheng

Quote Originally Posted by saxx View Post
    I still don't think flash and silverlight are comparable, they'll be used for different things in the end anyways.
    Well yeah, Flash and Silverlight are not comparable... Flex and Silverlight are... Anyway, I don't think that the guys at Adobe will just sit on their butts and do nothing to keep up the pace with all the other technologies... as Senocular said, Silverlight and C# are a beast but every technology has it's advantages and disadvantages... I wouldn't worry about the future of Flash / Flex, I'm sure we'll be still using those technologies even in 10 years from now ( but maybe under a different name and with different features ).
    Last edited by 453.0; November 7th, 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Thread Information