Thread: C# UnauthorizedAccessException

1. C# UnauthorizedAccessException

EDIT: FIXED: I've waited 2 days to post this and of course, the moment after I post it I fix it. Apparently FileInfo.Directory does not return the file's directory, but the directory it's in. So I had to add it's name to it's directory and everything was ok.

Hey all! First post in this section :O

"UnauthorizedAccessException was unhandled.
    Access to the path 'Z:\music' is denied."

So here's the deal. I'm writing my own basic audioPlayer because I don't need all the extra function that winamp, mediaPlayer or even xmPlay has. It's going along nicely, but as alway my code slowly becomes a huge mess which is why I decided to rewrite the whole thing. So now I have a nice and solid, clear managed solution.

The only problem now is that an exception is thrown when I try to read the ID3 tags of a file. The code itself has not changed, just it's position! There is no reason at all why this suddenly wouldn't work so I think this is very strange. Here's the code:

To add every music file from a certain folder you need to first select that folder:
    Code:
    private void addFoldersButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                FolderBrowserDialog folderDialog = new FolderBrowserDialog();
                folderDialog.Description = "Pick your folder";
                if (folderDialog.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)
                {
                    mainForm.PlaylistManager.CreatePlaylistFromFolder(folderDialog.SelectedPath.ToString());
                }                
            }
    Method: CreatePlaylistFromFolder:
    Code:
    public List<Song> CreatePlaylistFromFolder(string folderDirectory)
            {
                List<Song> list = new List<Song>();
                DirectoryInfo directoryInfo = new DirectoryInfo(folderDirectory);

List<FileInfo> fileInfoList = getFilesInDirectory(directoryInfo, new List<FileInfo>());
                if (fileInfoList.Count > 0)
                {
                    list = createSongListFromFileList(fileInfoList); 
                }
                return list;
            }
    Method: getFilesInDirectory:
    Code:
    private static List<FileInfo> getFilesInDirectory(DirectoryInfo directory, List<FileInfo> fileInfoList)
            {
                DirectoryInfo[] directoriesOfDirectory = directory.GetDirectories();
                FileInfo[] filesOfDirectory = directory.GetFiles();
                foreach (FileInfo fileInfo in filesOfDirectory)
                {
                    if (fileInfo.Extension == ".mp3" || fileInfo.Extension == ".wav")
                    {
                        fileInfoList.Add(fileInfo);
                    }
                }
                foreach (DirectoryInfo directoryInfo in directoriesOfDirectory)
                {
                    getFilesInDirectory(directoryInfo, fileInfoList);
                }
                return fileInfoList;
            }
    Method: createSongListFromFileList:
    Code:
    private static List<Song> createSongListFromFileList(List<FileInfo> fileInfoList)
            {
                List<Song> list = new List<Song>();

foreach (FileInfo fileInfo in fileInfoList)
                {
                    list.Add(SongCreator.CreateNewSong(fileInfo.Directory.ToString()));
                }
                return list;
            }
    The last code that actually read the ID3 tags so far (which obviously needs a lot of work still ). The FileStream is where it all goes wrong!
    Code:
    public static Song CreateNewSong(string fileDirectory)
            {
                string theTitle = "unassigned";
                string theArtist = "unassigned";
                string theAlbum = "unassigned";
                string theYear = "unassigned";
                string theComment = "unassigned";
                string theGenre = "unassigned";

//FileStream file = new FileStream(fileDirectory, FileMode.Open);
                FileStream file = new FileStream(fileDirectory, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read);
                try
                {
                    Byte[] theByteBuff = new Byte[128];
                    file.Seek(-128, SeekOrigin.End);
                    file.Read(theByteBuff, 0, 128);
                    System.Text.ASCIIEncoding theEncoding = new System.Text.ASCIIEncoding();
                    string theTagInfo = theEncoding.GetString(theByteBuff);
                    if (theTagInfo.Contains("TAG"))
                    {
                        theTitle = removeControlCharactersFromString(theTagInfo.Substring(3, 30).Trim());
                        theArtist = removeControlCharactersFromString(theTagInfo.Substring(33, 30).Trim());
                        theAlbum = removeControlCharactersFromString(theTagInfo.Substring(63, 30).Trim());
                        theYear = removeControlCharactersFromString(theTagInfo.Substring(93, 4).Trim());
                        theComment = removeControlCharactersFromString(theTagInfo.Substring(97, 30).Trim());
                        theGenre = removeControlCharactersFromString(theTagInfo.Substring(127, 1).Trim());
                    }
                }
                catch 
                {
                    System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("Can't decode id3 tag of file: " + fileDirectory);                
                }
                file.Close();
                return new Song(theTitle, theArtist, theAlbum, theYear, theComment, theGenre, fileDirectory); 
            }
    The strangest thing is that this stuff actually works. The CreateSong method was simply re-located and was converted to a static method for example, so there's no reason that this shouldn't work. Also when I test the CreateSong method by inputting a string directory (manually) it works! So WTF is going on here? I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks
    Last edited by ArmoredSandwich; July 18th, 2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added exact error.

Thread Information