The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Silverlight and other Microsoft technology

Silverlight and other Microsoft technology

Hi, what is the equivalent of flash and flash media server in microsoft technology?
    I was reading about Silverlight and it does not seem to support video camera, or does it?
    Also read about Windows Media Services. That seems to do streaming. But I am assuming that is only the server side right? If Silverlight does not even do video camera, what would the front end be?

Please only Microsoft products and no adobe product suggestions.

Thank you,
    Tee

Silverlight would be the frontend. As far as I know (and this was probably as of beta 1) camera is not supported.

Streaming media is supported via Windows Media Services. There's also:
    http://streaming.live.com/

Yep - sen is right. Silverlight 2 does not currently support (as of Beta 2) camera input.

Great, now even Kirupa is { facebooking | twittering }

Thanks guys. I am a silverlight newbie, so my questions are very basic.

I have more Silverlight questions as I learn more, and thought I should just keep it all in this thread.

<objectdata="data:application/x-silverlight,"type="application/x-silverlight-2-b2"width="100%"height="100%">

I just downloaded silverlight 2 beta 2. Doing that breaks files that has type="application/x-silverlight-2-b1". (For example, the "Creating Hello World in Silverlight 2" tutorial on kirupa shows the download silverlight button).
    How do I turn on backward compatibility? Something like flash, when you say version 9, means that anything above or equal version 9 will just work. Does not have to be the exact version.

2. What are some of the most killer functionality / capabilities that silverlight have that the competitors does not have? (e.g flex).

Thanks guys.

Tee
    Last edited by mteguh; July 20th, 2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: clarification

There is no backwards compatibility between beta releases of the same Silverlight version.

Hi Kirupa,

I have another getting started question.
    I followed your tutorial on "Silverlight XAPs and Web Site Projects".

However, even the default template gives me this error when I try to build.
    "The name 'InitializeComponent' does not exist in the current context"

The sample source code for "Loading an XML File into Silverlight" tho works perfectly (after I put the System.Web.Silverlight.dll file in the Bin folder)

Both solutions have the same import in the .csproj file
    <ImportProject="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\Silverlight\v2. 0\Microsoft.Silverlight.CSharp.targets" />

Not sure what is going on here.

Thank you.

Tee

mteguh - you really should create new threads for different questions

Are you able to create new Silverlight 2 projects using Visual Studio and just run them in your browser?

Ah ok. I will start a new thread for my future questions.

So yes, I am unable to compile even the basic template. (Which is the steps from your tutorial "Silverlight XAPs and Web Site Projects - Page 2")
    I need to take out the function call InitializeComponent on app.xaml.cs and page.xaml.cs to make it compile, which shouldn't be necessary.
    Wonder what is off with my Visual Studio setting.

Where is the csproj master template located? I think I might need to change that to match what you have for the LoadXML. I am attaching the csproj file that got generated from my Visual Studio when I created this new project.

Thank you.

Tee
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mteguh; July 21st, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Thread Information