Thread: Photoshop CS3 Watch folder?

Photoshop CS3 Watch folder?

Hi guys

I'm familiar with the Batch/Automate that's been around in Photoshop for years.

But I was wondering... it would be really cool if you could set up a "Watch Folder"
    So you have Photoshop running, then any images that go into a designated folder have a specified Batch script run on them, and they're output into a different folder and optionally deleted from the other

You could then just have a machine sat on the network with Photoshop running which would just watch certain network shares for different Actions.

Anyone know if anything like that is possible?

Surprised it's not been around for years though, as Distiller has had the ability for Watch Folders since v5, maybe earlier.

Thanks, B

That's a really good idea - I use the batch exporter for fireworks too, and a feature like that would speed things up a lot for me!

I can't really believe it doesn't exist, since it's already present in one of Adobe's other products!

It would be really cool for us to have Photoshop running on a server, watching a bunch of folders on our NAS, just waiting to perform batch operations on anything that goes into those folders.

If you know C#/vb.net you can do simple resizes of photos and such and detect when certain files types have been added to a folder.

But, not sure how one would then run a photoshop script on the file.

//edit, its def possible after looking through some searches. Too bad, I don't have time nor use photoshop
    Last edited by Templarian; July 28th, 2008 at 03:53 PM.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Thinking about it, I could easily knock something up in AutoHotKey/AutoIt.
    Set up a spare machine as a server with a copy of Photoshop running.
    Have a script running which waits until a file appears in a specified directory, then take control of Photoshop to run the script on that folder.
    Doable with AutoIt but that would be one beast of a script.

It's a very obvious feature that I've not managed to find in Photoshop. Yet. Maybe I should patent it.
    I guess Adobe will just rip the feature off some other product eventually though.

batch processing watcher==the unpaid intern.

"do what guiness tells you, always do what guiness tells you...hmmm new advertising slogan maybe"- RabBell

in theory you could script some code for photoshop...
    http://www.kirupa.com/motiongraphics/ps_scripting.htm

and with that particular script you develop you would point to that desired folder to 'watch' but would only execute the desired actions once you select the script to run so not in real time.

Essentially you might just do with droplets. Example below is a simple tut for simple use of action/batch..
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...asicaction.htm

but there are ways to batch files to destination folders with copy over options(not sure about delete). So you could essentially drop your required images onto the droplet and execute the action.

::lengthy and detailed tut about actions:
    http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/tutorials/actionitem/

Quote Originally Posted by batfastad View Post
    Hi guys

I'm familiar with the Batch/Automate that's been around in Photoshop for years.

But I was wondering... it would be really cool if you could set up a "Watch Folder"
    So you have Photoshop running, then any images that go into a designated folder have a specified Batch script run on them, and they're output into a different folder and optionally deleted from the other

You could then just have a machine sat on the network with Photoshop running which would just watch certain network shares for different Actions.

Anyone know if anything like that is possible?

Surprised it's not been around for years though, as Distiller has had the ability for Watch Folders since v5, maybe earlier.

Thanks, B
    Apple introduced "Automator" in OSX 10.4, which basically allows you to easily create advanced batch actions for all scriptable applications.
    These actions can be attached to a folder, placed in the right-click menu in the Finder, or saved as applications.
    The Photoshop Actionpack (http://www.completedigitalphotography.com/) for example, can be used to create a watched folder that uses Photoshop for processing when an image, or multiple images, is dropped or saved into the folder.
    I used to be a paranoid-psychotic-schizophrenic, but don't worry, he's dead now.

PSE 7 has a Watch Folder option but does not work when I try to have it watch my NAS Photo directory, keeps giving me Access is Denied. If i give the dir a drive letter it just says it cant find it.

With some crafty apple script I am sure it could be done.

as mentioned, out of the box ps scripting will not work as I know it since jscript can't be hooked to explorer commands, nor does it, as I recall, do threading (so you can't have a jscript running every x seconds to watch if files have been added to a certain directory, but I'm not too sure about that)

you could use applescript or vbscript, I kind of hate both

anyhow you will be better informed over at www.ps-scripts.com/bb/

I'd like to weigh in on this... I beleive the best solution is to set up a vbScript with a windows scheduled task that rips through a folder looking for files. When it finds one the vbScript calls an image magic api and either resizes or crops or rotates or whatever you need done and then moves the file. You could also use and ASP webpage or C# with a timer control as well.

Thread Information