The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: What am I doing wrong in embedding SWFObject?

What am I doing wrong in embedding SWFObject?

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <html xml:lang="en" lang="en"><head><title>Mikerz.com</title>

<head>        
    (some meta stuff im not showing, here)
    <script type="text/javascript" src="./swfobject/swfobject.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="./swfaddress/swfaddress.js"></script>

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
              html, body, #myContent { height:100%; }
              body { margin:0; padding:0; overflow:hidden; }
            </style></head>

<body>
            <div id="myContent">Flash Goes Here</div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
       var so = new SWFObject('slider.swf', "mymovie", "100%", "100%", "9", "#000000");
       so.write('myContent');
    </script>
    any ideas? Ive been trying to figure it out, but im a bit of a noob at js..

Hi and welcome to the forums !

I tested your script here ...there is nothing wrong with your code but you may want to tidy it up a bit. IE you got 2 starting tags for the head section (also - no ending tags for body and html and some weird characters before your doctype) ?! Indent your blocks of code - it really helps to get a better overview of the code !

Take a look at your reference to src="./swfobject/swfobject.js" - is it correct ?
    Last edited by brianmanden; July 10th, 2008 at 06:01 AM.

hey thanks for the reply, the code I posted was pretty messy because I cut and pasted from the full html.. it actually did have the proper tags.

Note: I had a working HTML when I began, but IE totally screwed up loading my SWF so I tried to start over again ( it would load a part of my preloader, and then say swfobject is undefined.. ).

I ended up going through the SWFObject docs, and used the code generator for a static embed. That still didn't work, so I changed the swfobject path to an absolute one. I ran the flash player uninstaller, and ran the installer. Still no fix.

I checked it in safari and FF, and it worked- except that the alignment was fugly ( fullbrowser & fullscreen options ), so I fixed THAT with a CSS Style;

LONG STORY SHORT:( also kinda-sorta cliffs )

I found out my IE was using flash player 7.0 inexplicably.

ran the IE installer directly from IE rather than adobe's executable, and it worked fine.

Thread Information