Thread: Platform tutorial with no scrolling background?

Platform tutorial with no scrolling background?

Hi,
    I've been looking at Nathans platform tutorial which is very helpful but What I want is a non scroll game so I'd need to change the code alot can anyone help me out?
    Thanks amy.

Amymation@hotmail.co.uk <--- Add me if you can help and you need more detail
    AIM: AmymationGirl

huh...it is a looooot simpler to make a non scrolling platformer, than the one with scrolling......from your question the only thing i feel is that, you haven't actually understood nathan's tutorial, and if you go about making things without understanding them, then it is same as asking another person to make it for you!

I believe you should try to understand the tutorial first, and ask for help in understanding it, if you need!
    MY BLOG

I need a SPRITER who can do pixel arts for an arcade fighter project. If you can help out, please pm me.
    I also need someone who can write simple xml files.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagica View Post
    huh...it is a looooot simpler to make a non scrolling platformer, than the one with scrolling......from your question the only thing i feel is that, you haven't actually understood nathan's tutorial, and if you go about making things without understanding them, then it is same as asking another person to make it for you!

I believe you should try to understand the tutorial first, and ask for help in understanding it, if you need!
    I understand it now but I don't know how to tweak it to make the background non-scrollable and make the character move not the root. I've figured out most coding by myself for my custom game but it's just that which is holding me back.

if you understood it, you will know what to remove to make the screen not move; that is, the part that makes the screen move. Pretty fundamental if you understood it.

uhm, it might be harder than just removing a little code depending on how it's set up... basically what it's probably doing now is moving the hero to the right at the same time as moving _root to the left so they cancel each other out and the hero stays in the middle of the screen. so if you want the screen to stay stationary, you would remove every place that it changes _root's _x and _y properties, and see if that breaks anything. hopefully it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by tapioca View Post
    uhm, it might be harder than just removing a little code depending on how it's set up... basically what it's probably doing now is moving the hero to the right at the same time as moving _root to the left so they cancel each other out and the hero stays in the middle of the screen. so if you want the screen to stay stationary, you would remove every place that it changes _root's _x and _y properties, and see if that breaks anything. hopefully it won't.
    Thanks for the help, I've figured most of it out

Thread Information