Thread: so how should i build my game?

3boxes so how should i build my game?

I have been looking through the SFS documentation and searching though the forums and i have gotten confused, my problem is that i want to build a multiplayer game similar to club penguin and habbo hotel however i have found different ways of creating the game, question is which one should i use for best in security, reducing lag, easy to modify and add new stuff, easy to create, etc. i have found two ways i could possilby do it

Way 1
    i make seperate swf such as inventory, player, weapons, etc and import then use the loadmovie function to bring it all together into 1 fla

Way 2
    I make everthing on one fla such as inventory, player, etc however i think this way will be hard for me to update and add new stuff such as armour, etc

if there is any other way or the ways i suggested to created the multiplayer game which has high security, reduces lag, and i can easily add stuff such as armour, plz enlighten me with your knowledge thank you in advance

2. Use Object Orientated Programming.

^ Agreed

OOP is a great suggestion and highly recommended for what you are trying to accomplish... and I don't suggest putting everything in separate swf files, I would keep it all in 1 fla - that is my opinion - I don't have much luck with separate swf files.
    Blog: http://www.gregathons.com

Why do web browsers function so differently? Why can't they all follow the same Web Standard...users don't care how it works, but the programmers do.

do NOT what ever you do make seperate SWfs

It is SO hard to get everything working properly if you have seperate SWFs. also the player will have to load all of them which could cause problems.

let me know when your done, id like to have a lil look

hope it helps
    Stupid Saint

Quote Originally Posted by Irontigerz View Post
    I have been looking through the SFS documentation and searching though the forums and i have gotten confused, my problem is that i want to build a multiplayer game similar to club penguin and habbo hotel however i have found different ways of creating the game, question is which one should i use for best in security, reducing lag, easy to modify and add new stuff, easy to create, etc. i have found two ways i could possilby do it

Way 1
    i make seperate swf such as inventory, player, weapons, etc and import then use the loadmovie function to bring it all together into 1 fla

Way 2
    I make everthing on one fla such as inventory, player, etc however i think this way will be hard for me to update and add new stuff such as armour, etc

if there is any other way or the ways i suggested to created the multiplayer game which has high security, reduces lag, and i can easily add stuff such as armour, plz enlighten me with your knowledge thank you in advance

For my project, AS3, I used a single swf approach. I admit it will be tricky if you have multiple developers--considering multiplayer can be quite large project.

What I ended up doing was spent some time up front and design base classes and interfaces (function names...etc) then assigned/divided which classes we would work individually. Since classes are separate files in AS3, you can achieve your idea of 'separate' component for inventory / player...etc.

One of main problem I find at my current work place ( non-flash ) is all those configuration and code management and integration at the end. Individually all things work but putting them altogether is nearly a project of its own.

I guess another +ve side of worknig on a single swf is that near the end when you need to apply a quick fix.. it's much easier to do so if that change will affect the whole game.

Say that you are switching monetary system from dollars to pound sterling, and this will impact your inventory, character sheet, stage presentation...etc. If you design smart, the separate components can read from shared resource file (a great idea for OOP btw); even if not, you can readily see the changes at one go.

I agree with everything already said.

OOP is the way to go.
    you = function(){
    setEnabled( true );
    live();
    setEnabled( false );
    }

Thread Information