Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: How do you put a website on the internet from a notepad?

How do you put a website on the internet from a notepad?

If you make an HTML website on notepad, how do you get it online so people write
    HTML Code:
    www.(whateversite).com
    oh and for free

.com domains are not free to get a .com follow the steps below.

1. Go to 1and1.com and purchase the smallest hosting package (like 4USD a month).
    2. Wait 24 hours for your domain to become active.
    3. Download smartFTP and type in the connection information.
    4. Name your file index.html
    5. Drag the file into smartFTP where it will upload it to the server.
    6. Type in the name of the domain you purchased (free with your hosting package purchase).

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

You can get a lot of free hosting but it's usually attached to a generic domain, and all you get is a subdomain.

So you might get

http://yoursite.somegenericurl.com

Look for free web hosts on google!
    MS Paint FTW!

You can host a site if you have an extra computer or computer that doesn't turn off. If you know linux just fire up a ubuntu server and install apache and point a dynamic DNS to it. You can get one free DNS redirection from www.dyndns.org .

Or as mentioned just google for free hosts. Watch out some of them have secret clauses in their agreements. The most common one is "we will delete your site after 90 days and replace it with ADs." but they might say it in a clever way or hide it in a bunch of text.

Dynadot are so cheap never had problem with them. K4Z on the forums gives domains freely!

Thread Information