Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Life/Dating Sim game help

Life/Dating Sim game help

Okay, so I'm trying to make a life/dating sim type game but I don't know where to start. I hope this isn't too much, but I have so many questions and stuff. ^^"

I'm fairly new to flash (so far I've only figured out how to make a drag-and-drop game and the basic stuff in actionscript), so I think it won't be much trouble. I was looking through the tutorials on this site and read a few but then realized I had no idea what I would use and need to learn to make a sim game in the first place.

I'm not exactly sure how I can make a dialog box, or have multiple replies for things. Also, how would I make the character's picture appear above the dialog each time they said something?

It would need to have a point based system where talking to different people and depending on how you reply to them, it would either lower or raise their friendship points. I really am not sure how to go about that, but if someone could explain what I would need to use to do that it would be great.

If anyone has tutorials specifically on how to make a sim type game that's helpful also, but so far I haven't found any. I probably sound like a super-noob right about now also...

I think it is too complicated if you really are the super-noob you call yourself. Try getting the hang of basic games.

p.s. if you are a super-noob then i am a noob...

The complex part of a dating sim would, I think, be developing and using a big tree of potential events and the conditions under which they would occur. (Time, location, certain responses, character stats, etc.) I actually would have thought making things appear and disappear would be the easy part. So tkmk might be right, do a simpler game to get a handle on the graphics and then come back to this once you're comfortable with that.

Thread Information