Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Installing jQuery

Installing jQuery

I've downloaded JDK w/ NetBeans IDE, Apache Ant, and the jQuery script but when I run it, it doesn't install.
    How do you build it?
    Their site just says "download JDK, Ant, and build jQuery to start using it". I'm lost.

Edit: I think I have to set Ant up somehow, but don't understand it's doc.
    http://ant.apache.org/manual/
    Installing Ant > Installing Ant > Setup
    Last edited by w1sh; June 9th, 2008 at 02:49 PM.

you don't install jquery ... it's just an include from html, that you define in the head of ur html ...
    HTML Code:
    <script src="jquery.js" type="text/javascript" /></script>
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_jQuery
    What the heck is that?

I'm so confused... I installed JDK, Netbeans, and have been fist fighting Ant all day... just so I'd be able to make a pretty jQuery tooltip.

I'm freaking out. If I wasn't at work I'd have busted my face open on the desk by now.

Edit: Wait a tick. If all I want is a tooltip; and jQuery is just some header ref. link; and it's ok to use other site's code then... Bwahaha!
    Last edited by w1sh; June 9th, 2008 at 03:35 PM.

I can't see what you're linking their site is down. But I don't need to. It sounds as if those are the minimum requirements for a server ... just include the include the javascript file in the head.
    Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
    Don't PM me your CSS, xHTML, JS or PHP questions. I will not reply to ANY IE6 questions.

Ok, let me try this...

Edit: omg... Search for "jquery tooltip best web" and got this: http://bestwebgallery.com/category/extras/
    3rd link down...
    lol, it wasn't even his script...
    Last edited by w1sh; June 9th, 2008 at 03:45 PM.

Btw, thank you very much Simplistik.
    I really appreciate all the help you give me.

Think you guys might be talking about 2 different things. I think there is a jQuery for Java and one for JavaScript and they are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by w1sh View Post
    3rd link down...
    lol, it wasn't even his script...
    I know ... I linked the site he got the script from in the original post ...

Nice script.
    I see why his bestwebgall mainbar is on the leftside though... the thumbnails overflow to the right (if you leave it default)

I guess I'll add 2 scripts for links on the right side and links in the middle. :\

Edit: ^ Does that mean I'm thinking like a Java script kiddie?
    Last edited by w1sh; June 9th, 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simplistik View Post
    I know ... I linked the site he got the script from in the original post ...
    Yeah I'm an idiot.

So essentially, jQuery is kinda like a simplified version of JavaScript?

Edit: Oh teehee, I'm learning stuff. I feel so giddy. It reminds me of AS.
    Last edited by w1sh; June 12th, 2008 at 09:17 AM.

Thread Information