The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Loading Images through XML for a RPG

Loading Images through XML for a RPG

Hey fellow flashers, im makeing a little rpg just for experiance and learning and im haveing trouble with the images, they are all bad quality. I had this crazy idea that maby i could make a XML dattabase and have the game load the sprites before the game starts and put them into the proper movieclips. would this make the quality much better considering Flash isnt doing anything with the images, just the swf file is loading and displaying them? I have made an XML photo galary before but I was heavily relying on tutorials and though i understand how it works i still have only basic knowledge of how to put something like that together. Is there a tutorial that could teach me just how to load the images and then put them into the right movie clip? THANKS

So the images are currently in the library? Check their properties and make sure there isn't any compression. There's an option to store them as lossless pngs. You can also alter the default settings in the publish settings so you don't have to do this over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidodo View Post
    So the images are currently in the library? Check their properties and make sure there isn't any compression. There's an option to store them as lossless pngs. You can also alter the default settings in the publish settings so you don't have to do this over and over again.
    how exactly do i do that? im new to this.

oh! i didn't even think of this. press ctrl-L to open the library if it isn't already open, then find the image file in it (not the movie clip) and right click and press 'properties'. in the properties box it should say 'compression' and have two options photo and lossless. if it isn't set to lossless already do that.

thanks for that instructions. I also experienced that before.

man i dono whats wrong, the graphics still suck. disapointing lol

Hey i tried the xml photogalary tutorial and the spirtes loaded with beautiful quality. i realy like loading sprites via xml cause it would make the game alot less laggy considering rpg's have thousands of sprites. though it would be much more complex to make a game like this and i dont realy know anything about xml, would anyone be able to help me? how do i throw that image into the correct movie clip?

i uploaded a screen shot of the sprite when loaded in the xml photogalary tutorial. btw the sprite apears to have a white background... can xml load transparent pictures? cause im pretty sure it was transparent when i saved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You should forget this XML stuff and start reading BitmapData class documentation...
    Bruno Palermo
    When everything is catastrophic, thank the Gods things aren't worse!

dude that dosnt help me, what is BitmapData documentation?

The entire documentation is just the help file. Goto the help window, and look under "ActionScript 3.0 Language and Components Reference" in the table of contents. That has the documentation for every package, and class in the flash library. Get used to using this because there are a ton of useful classes in the flash library, and understanding them is the key to being able to code effectively. You will find that alot of thing you want to do are already created for you in the flash library. Get acquainted with it.

Thread Information