The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: How to erase the bitmapData???

How to erase the bitmapData???

well i used BitmapData to get a blur/trail effect(like tail on a comet)....but i want to make it go away after a while, and after sometime it should reappear.
    Now, i have no idea how to do this, so i tried making the movieclip, the bmpData is attached to, to _visible=false. It did dissappear, but when i want the effect to redraw, i am doing _visible=true, but the canvas, obviously, isn't empty, but contains the effect from last time....so what is the way out?

Also, is there any way to BitmapData affect only a particular object? draw(_root) works well when the effect will be over entire screen, but say i want to make a fire/torch, then it needs to be in a small area and shouldn't affect anything else.....

As you can say, i haven't completely understood the working of it yet, so i really need your help....
    MY BLOG

I need a SPRITER who can do pixel arts for an arcade fighter project. If you can help out, please pm me.
    I also need someone who can write simple xml files.

One would usually draw over it.

Join #kirupa | Click the under my Username | CL | Jeff

Yes i am drawing over it, but since it is being drawn over itself, the old copy is being retained...
    MY BLOG

I need a SPRITER who can do pixel arts for an arcade fighter project. If you can help out, please pm me.

If a continuous or intermittent blur is applied, whatever is drawn gradually gets blurred out and disappears.

Yes, you are right, a continuous alpha decrease is used by using ColorMatrixFilter, and that is what makes the comet tail fade away, but i want to make the tail disappear altogether for some time, and then reappear.... The trail effect works by drawing the stage as it is...i mean the entire stage....so when i....err...i dont think you all can understand what i am saying....well, i will try to upload some pictures soon to make things clear...
    MY BLOG

http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mettestwz1.swf

see that to understand my problem, Move your mouse to see the tail, then press space to make it disappear and then move your mouse to a different position on stage, and Press space again, you will see the old tail is still there.....and i don't want that! I hope you all can understand now, and i am attaching the fla(8,as2) so that you may try and find a solution for it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MY BLOG

Draw a black rectangle to it or make it again, as far as I know they are your only options

Thread Information