Thread: best way to store data for a 3d map

best way to store data for a 3d map

i wrote a fairly simple 3d engine in as3 and was considering making a game where you fly through a trench or cave, etc. (star wars style).

what in your opinion is the best way to store data for 3 dimensional levels?

for 2d and 2.5d i usually use a 2d array for different tiles, etc. but the 3d thing adds a lot of complexity.

if i used a 3d array, it'd basically be blocky square tubes (which may be ok at first, idk).

are there any other established methods of storing more complex shaped maps?

i can't really think of the best way to store such information. it'd probably be done with face and vertex info, but idk...

ideas?

I remember reading about papervision 3d and heard that it can interpret collada data, which is an xml file of 3-d data. There are plug-ins for Blender that will export your 3d models as collada files, though I haven't personally experimented with them.
    you = function(){
    setEnabled( true );
    live();
    setEnabled( false );
    }

Collada is a good way to go.

Another method that can work well for caverns, tunnels, etc is a heightmap. You can store the height offsets in each pixel in a single color channel, and that leaves you with 3 other color channels to store additional data in (shading normals, objects, etc).

Thread Information