Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Please explain to me "linkage"!!

Please explain to me "linkage"!!

In my game i have a lot of mc and sounds(90%++) that will be dynamically attached and removed under various conditions. So as you all can understand, i have to setup their "linkage" properties, to use them in code. Now, in Linkage, i have two feilds, "export for AS" and "export in first frame"....Now when i check on both, everything works fine, but it makes the very first frame pretty heavy....and thus, the preloader shows up at about 70% instead of starting at 0...and if i check off the "export in first frame" option, then the clips or sounds don't get attached at all. What might the problem be, and what is the solution?
    MY BLOG

I need a SPRITER who can do pixel arts for an arcade fighter project. If you can help out, please pm me.
    I also need someone who can write simple xml files.

see:
    http://www.senocular.com/flash/tutor...preloaderstart

The link at the bottom of that section (preloaders) goes into some further depth

3. Quote Originally Posted by senocular View Post
    see:
    http://www.senocular.com/flash/tutor...preloaderstart

The link at the bottom of that section (preloaders) goes into some further depth
    Awesome, I was looking into this when I still worked on the flash RTS (sig) and found out the preloader didn't work correctly. I believe I actually tried unchecking every "export in first frame" of all my library items. It still didn't work correctly, but I guess I'll try it again, maybe I did something wrong xD . Though, it is a lot of work, unchecking every item in your library.. Horrible to find that out way too late in a project.

Thanks.

Thanks senocular, you have really helped a lot.Thanks again!!

EDIT: when i went to try it, that is putting everything on the second frame, my sounds or mc s are not being loaded again, what could the problem be?
    Last edited by bluemagica; May 17th, 2008 at 11:58 PM.
    MY BLOG

I need a SPRITER who can do pixel arts for an arcade fighter project. If you can help out, please pm me.

dude what i do is put everything in a "linkage loader" movie clip and put it invisible on some frame, so you only have to check "export for as", and it keeps your first frame intact.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagica View Post
    Thanks senocular, you have really helped a lot.Thanks again!!

EDIT: when i went to try it, that is putting everything on the second frame, my sounds or mc s are not being loaded again, what could the problem be?
    did u give er the "linkage id" that thing you use to call the object?
    shove it all on a mc and put it on some frame

yep
    MY BLOG

Thread Information