The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Actionscript help on creating random pixels..

Actionscript help on creating random pixels..

I would like to create a test game which would show a simple sketch image of say a circle, or any other simple geometric shape. The user would then use his cursor to trace over the sketch. How would I tell if the user is tracing it and how could I measure the users accuracy (because invariably you wont trace it exactly correct).

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusRevised View Post
    I would like to create a test game which would show a simple sketch image of say a circle, or any other simple geometric shape. The user would then use his cursor to trace over the sketch. How would I tell if the user is tracing it and how could I measure the users accuracy (because invariably you wont trace it exactly correct).

Thanks in advance.

Once you have the forumla to draw the circle, you can get any one of (X,Y) coordinates.

But what you should remember is that all the points in the circle are 'r' (radius) distance from the origin. So if the circle orginates from (0,0), a unit circle will have radius of 1 and all the points along the line will be 1 away from the origin.

So when user's mouse is pressed down and on the canvas, you can check the _mousex and _mousey and calculate the distance from your origin.

ie) If your circle orginates from (200, 200) and radius is 50... then at any given time, you can calculate where the user's mouse is, and use the distnace formula: ( http://www.purplemath.com/modules/distform.htm )

Math.sqrt( (200 - _mousex )^2 + (200 - _mousey) ^2 )

And if you want to give error margin of 5, then as long as the distance is between 45 and 55, you let it pass.

I am sure above math needs some more work.

[Added]

For other shapes, I believe you will have to keep major vertices and somehow keep formulas that you used to draw out the geometric shapes so that you can set boundary lines.

For some reason I keep thinking integral but I am sure it's cuz I am still in sleep mode...
    Last edited by misterooga; May 5th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.

I bet you could make a "no-draw" zone, which could be a series of movieclips surrounding the shape the user has to draw. When the user is finished drawing their line, somehow break the line up into smaller segments, and check for collisions between the no-draw zone shapes and each line segment. X number of collisions would determine their accuracy.

I don't think this would be very fast (run-time & development) or dynamic, but it's a pretty straight-forward code-lite model to start working with.
    you = function(){
    setEnabled( true );
    live();
    setEnabled( false );
    }

Thread Information