Everybody! This is important. In a few days, these forums will be moving over to using the totally sweet Discourse platform. To ensure this migration happens smoothly with no loss of content, these forums are currently in a read-only mode. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

There is never a good time to turn the forums off for an extended period of time, but I promise the new forums will be a billion times better. I'm pretty sure of it.

See you all on the other side in a few days, and if you have any (non-technical) questions, please e-mail me at kirupa@kirupa.com. For technical questions, try to find a tutorial that corresponds to what you are looking for and post in the comments section of that page.

Cheers,
Kirupa

Thread: Shooter Game HELP

Shooter Game HELP

Ok, im makeing a side scroller shooter game where you point and click to shoot with your mouse. I wanted to make it so instead of actualy shooting a bullet movie clip out of your gun on mouseDown, just have a line apear for a split second between your gun and the enemy.

To do this i used the pythagoron therom (a^2 + b^2 = c^2)
    in the code its:
    x = _root.hero._x - _xmouse
    y = _root.hero._y - _ymouse
    _root.hyp = Math.sqrt(x*x + y*y)

Then i made a movie clip of a line and set its _xscale to c, and then set the lines _rotation to the same as the guns

my only problem is when the line rotates around it becomes thicker and thiner, also at a point the line stops growing and there is a gap between the gun and the enemy. how can i fix this? id i do the pythagorian equation wrong or something?
    Last edited by lancerawks; April 27th, 2008 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerawks View Post
    Ok, im makeing a side scroller shooter game where you point and click to shoot with your mouse. I wanted to make it so instead of actualy shooting a bullet movie clip out of your gun on mouseDown, just have a line apear for a split second between your gun and the enemy.

To do this i used the pythagoron therom (a^2 + b^2 = c^2)
    in the code its:
    x = _root.hero._x - _xmouse
    y = _root.hero._y - _ymouse
    _root.hyp = Math.sqrt(x*x + y*y)

Then i made a movie clip of a line and set its _xscale to c, and then set the lines _rotation to the same as the guns

my only problem is when the line rotates around it becomes thicker and thiner, also at a point the line stops growing and there is a gap between the gun and the enemy. how can i fix this? id i do the pythagorian equation wrong or something?
    ditch that approach and use the drawing api.

as2:
    Code:
    // myMovieClip.lineStyle ( thickness, rgb, alpha )
    bullet.lineStyle ( 1, 0x000000, 100 );

//myMovieClip.moveTo( x, y );
    bullet.moveTo ( startx, starty );

// myMovieClip.lineTo ( x, y );
    bullet.lineTo ( targetx, targety );

// then, whenever you want to clear it:
    bullet.clear ();
    as3 is nearly identical, but preface your drawing api commands with 'graphics'

i.e.
    myMovieClip.graphics.lineStyle (1, 0x000000, 1);

I hope that is enough info to help you. The drawing api is pretty straightforward to use, just experiment with it until you achieve your desired results.
    you = function(){
    setEnabled( true );
    live();
    setEnabled( false );
    }

Thanks man, works like a charm

Ah... That's useful for my laser too but I'd like to ask one question...

I see you can set the thickness. When the line is thick and the line has plain colour, it looks dull. Is it possible to add gradient colour to the line drawn by AS?

5. I think it is possible when you look at this: http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/a...ionary510.html

Since the line you draw is just a normal movieclip you should be able to apply that to the line movieclip. I'll might test it out when get back from walking with my dog! xD
    Last edited by ArmoredSandwich; April 28th, 2008 at 08:08 AM.

I'll take a look at that. Thank you for the hint.

//edit:
    And... don't quite understand the purpose and usage of the "matrix" parameter...
    Last edited by fw2803; April 30th, 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Thread Information