The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game development - chopper game

Game development - chopper game

I'm in need of some help.. im creating a Game, simlilar to one of the games we have in the arcade Which is the chopper game- http://www.kirupa.com/forum/arcade.php?do=play&gameid=5 im just creating this game to have an idea about basic game development in flash.. or maybe Cs3 i dunno.. well if you can hit me up with some ideas.. it would help me a lot.. thanks peoples!

There is a great new book about game programming:

http://www.amazon.com/ActionScript-3.../dp/0789737027

but really.. i dont have the money and yeah...

I wanna recreate this kinda game as well because it looks nice and easy.. so i was wondering If i can get some help in creating this game.. but i guess not :'(

hmm that game is very to recreate, actually i beilieve the programming itself shouldnt take more than 10 mins....but if i try to help you at this point it will be like making the game for you. But anyway, i suggest you study just two things first.... one is attachMovie() and the other is mouse listener, both are well explained in tutorials of this site, and this two are the only thing that you need for this game....
    MY BLOG

I need a SPRITER who can do pixel arts for an arcade fighter project. If you can help out, please pm me.
    I also need someone who can write simple xml files.

Ahh.. thats what i love!.. quick but effective mesures the thing is.. i dont have a clue about attachmovies() or mouselisteners.. :S well i do know i couple. of very Basic action script such as Keypress or maybe buttons?

I kinda think the whole actual thing is button, and a movie clip but i wouldnt know how to start ,i mean i know how to move to another frame, but somthing like Setting values, such as setting X and y stuff Hmmmm.. kinda getting hard dont you think? well for me actualy...

so actully i dont have a clue how to start at all...

So for you maybe 10 mins to make a game like this.. i dont know about me.. lets say around 10 weeks xD

edit:
    also if possible maybe the scoring system needs to be there.. somthing like a high score and name input? hmmmmm
    Last edited by jaydee; April 27th, 2008 at 07:30 AM.

Ya bluemagica's right anybody that shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to make a example, the real question is what version actionscript your looking for it in AS 2.0 or AS 3.0?
    A highscores, such as one others can view ya that would take longer than a couple minutes as you would have to make it using something like php and mysql.

Hmmm I would say I'm just using Flash 8 right now,and PHP I dont have a clue about it...
    Last edited by jaydee; April 27th, 2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: grammer

Did you even try to look for the examples i suggested? nobody learns programming in a day, and from what you say, it seems you dont even have the basic concepts!!! First start with something simple, like watch game making vids on youtube, lol, then learn to use google and the builtin help file (I really love them)....then try to make games yourself....if you get stuck, so us what you did, and we will be more than happy to help! I dont like to help those who dont even try!!!.....

However read this...
    http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/e...mouseclick.htm //Note: How to change x,y||How to detect mouse press
    http://www.kirupa.com/developer/acti...roadcaster.htm //Note: How listeners work

If you really read and understand those two, you can make that game with your eyes closed....as for the highscore thing, well since it involves external resources to flash, you better leave it till you have a little more understanding of basic programming.....

If you cant make the game still then show us what you have tried first, and then ask for something precise....not how to make the entire game!!!
    MY BLOG

I need a SPRITER who can do pixel arts for an arcade fighter project. If you can help out, please pm me.

yeah.. it should be a lil more of trial and error i guess.. it kinda gets complicated.. and yeah.. its shameful i dont know the basics :'( oh well i got time..its kinda hard though.. well its back to the drawing board... hmmm how would i start this.. oh and thanks for those links

(-_-) You can start it by understanding the easing tutorial and then replacing the dot with a chopper
    MY BLOG

Hmmm... yes.. maybe ill try that.. but if i did clicking where the choppers gotta go isnt a really good.. game.. anyways.. ill show i you what i got done tomorrow.. im kinda sleepy right now.. 1:17am this stuff is trippy

I hope your game is better than that game, it was pissin me off to no end. Max Score:450.

ok like it was said before if you dont have a cluen on what dto do with even the basics start simple i know every new programmer wants to jump right into a real sweet project but you need to understand the basics: using functions, listeners and such other little fun things dont try something humungous(for a beginner) start with the basic tutorials on the flash page alot of information is to be had there. check out things like "magic cursor" or "random button" those are rel good ones but please dont ask people to code your game for you im not trying to be a *ss but you need to learn the basics before anything else.

ok.. this is way too hard..
    all i got is the dopey mouse to click and and follow the cursor T_T i need some help again

Show your code so far. I know it's hard at first but it gets easier. If you don't find this fun then continuing on for you could be a real pain. Personally I love the challenge, and I love finding the solution myself even more.

That is a pretty simple game to create, even though I would suggest something even more rudementary for your first game. Remember that when you are referring to movie clips in actionscript you could do something like this.

Code:
    helicopter_mc.onEnterFrame = function () {
    this._y += 5; // ' this ' is referring to helicopter_mc
    }
    Basically what this code does is make your helicopter go down by 5 on the y axis every frame; making it look like it is falling.

When you create the movie clip click export for actionscript -> click okay. Then when it is on the stage select it. Under properties at the bottom there will be a little text box called instance name. Make the instance name helicopter_mc.

That's all I'll say for now. I would like to see you make some progress.

PS. Flash 8 is ActionScript 2.0
    Last edited by t0w; May 15th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information