The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: Flash based brain training project

Flash based brain training project

I want to create a web based program similar to Lumosity.com which is a site used to train the brain to improve memory, attention, executive processes, and processing speed. The brain responds to novelty and challenge by adaptation and physically restructuring itself, this is called neuroplasticity. Lumosity is banking off the phenonemon of neurplasticity. There are many other such brain exercising sites but Lumosity in my humble opinion is the best. The problem is that research on how effective such online brain exercising programs is slow and under-funded, and I really think that if everyone in the world did this (a full workout takes only 10 mins) we would have a happier world.

Now that you understand the premise, my ambition is to create a similar brain training program but for it to be FREE (revenue could be earned by ads). This way I could perform large-scale research by forcing all members to take an IQ test before and after, say 30 days, of training. I could do this using Lumosity but then I would have to pay for memberships for all the volunteers and Lumosity isn't gonna do it itself because then itll lose a lot of money.

So I need a flash actionscript programmer and designer to make the flash based games (perhaps 6 to 10, relatively simple games, again, check out Lumosity.com for inspiration) and I will create the website and everything else and conduct the research. This is not a paid job, this is a collaborative project.

-post if interested in perhaps helping the world become at least slightly more intelligent.
    Last edited by TitusRevised; May 5th, 2008 at 08:26 PM.

Brain Training

Sounds interesting and something I would be interested in. We would need to bash out quite a few details first including coming up with game ideas as its not cool to directly rip off other sites ideas (being influenced a little bit is fine ). Contact me to get the ball rolling..

Wow sunds real cool i would definetly be interested bu8t so you kow my art is definetly not anywhere near incredible i can vector alright tho. but let me know if you want the help of a moderate flash programmer

One test you could perform is whether a site with advertisements is more or less effective at training than one without.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to equate things like attention, memory, etc. with rationality.

Quote Originally Posted by rrh View Post
    One test you could perform is whether a site with advertisements is more or less effective at training than one without.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to equate things like attention, memory, etc. with rationality.
    Good suggestion. I my hypothesis would be that ads distract and would reduce the efficacy of the program. This also leads me to whether or not a site with a simple/fancy or nice-looking/ugly website is most effective.

...and you're absolutely right (about the equation of intelligence with rationality). But I do believe they are at least correlated.

great point but if you kept the ads part of the design instead of having one theme and then the rest another would be distracting but if you kept the design professional and attractive but moulded with the ads it wouldnt be that distracting if you kept the design clever and well organized

...and you're absolutely right (about the equation of intelligence with rationality). But I do believe they are at least correlated.
    I disagree, my girlfriend is pretty damn smart, but boy can she be irrational!
    MS Paint FTW!

lol but remember throwing popcorn at her from across the couch and having her flip out is just more you annoying her lol

Thread Information