The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: First flash game, feedback please

  1. #1

    First flash game, feedback please

    My first Flash game in now in a fully playable state (minus sound) and I would appreciate any feedback:

    http://lab.wx3.com/defender/

    Screenshot:



    I wrote it as an exercise to learn ActionScript/Flash, and as a first program, I'm fairly happy with the results. It's a "tower defense" style game where the player must defend Earth from various approaching alien craft. The graphics are mostly done using bitmap manipulation, which seems to be a bit of a departure from the more common vector style graphics in these games, but allow for some (I think) cool effects.

    Any responses would be great, but particularly I'm interested in:
    How does it run on your machine?
    What other features do you feel it needs to be a successful game?
    Is the interface intuitive?
    Most importantly, is it fun?

    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    biznuge's Avatar
    1,136
    posts
    Use the Fork Luke...
    nice. really addicitve. Would maybe consider giving some tooltips for the beginner, on upgrading, and what research does etc, but it's a cracking start. won on easy, then got defeated on normal. not sure i fully understood how my people were dying, and whether i used them up by building things???

    Very nice.
    before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes...
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" - Danonthemoon
    She asked for a double entendre, so I gave her one...
    "screw ie. it can lick my balls" - A.J. Cates

  3. #3
    It's truly awesome for a first game.

    I think it would be pretty cool if the globe spun around.
    I think it would be nice to have a very small tutorial where it shows a build item being placed on the squares. More of an emphasis on research and more possibilities for a fail state without teching up would also be cool.

    Excellent job!

  4. #4
    The easy mode is a tad too easy. I mean you can win with like 2 cannons basically I imagine. Very addictive and fun nevertheless.

  5. #5
    Thanks for the comments so far, very helpful. I meant for easy to be really easy, but I guess I went too far.

    I was thinking that keep the game interface clean, adding a tutorial and help to the webpage its in would be better than putting it in game, but maybe not.

    Again, thanks for suggestions and any additional input would be appreciated.

  6. #6
    Wow. that was fantastic for a first game. Short and too easy, but damn well done

    edit: Out of interest do the missiles do splash damage? (veteran TD player here )

  7. #7
    Actually the normal was too easy. I think it has to to with the unlimited money after a few moments of playing. The repair thing isn't useful. At the end of the game I had all the little squares with fully upgraded missiles. I love these kinds of games. Once it's balanced I'm sure it will be even more awesome.

    Also instead of just a final wave. Why not like a super boss?

  8. #8
    Yeah. The economic upgrades are too powerful. This screenshot is from near the end of the normal difficulty.



    I hadn't done anything for ages ... just sat their watching the pretty missiles!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamthejuggler View Post
    Wow. that was fantastic for a first game. Short and too easy, but damn well done

    edit: Out of interest do the missiles do splash damage? (veteran TD player here )
    Thanks a lot!

    No missiles don't splash.

    In-game reason: The game space is a visually compressed representation of a much larger real space and due to the inverse cube dispersion of energy, damage doesn't reach other targets.

    Real reason: For performance reason every projectile only needs to worry about a single target. If it needed to calculate range to all possible targets, the game would either be too slow or I'd have to give up some eye candy.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamthejuggler View Post
    Yeah. The economic upgrades are too powerful. This screenshot is from near the end of the normal difficulty.

    I hadn't done anything for ages ... just sat their watching the pretty missiles!
    Good suggestion. I've changed it so that Econ Centers give less money, and it's now a function of how big your population is, like general revenue. After some tweaking the enemy waves, it seems much less easy on normal.

  11. #11
    Wow amazing for a first game i found though that easy was to short to really get anywhere in upgrades but very comical death message enjoyed that once the shield ships came in on normal i was done for

  12. #12
    Did you change it for the upgraded economic buildings? I beat normal again very easily (upgraded all my missile silos on the map). Make a hard level please It's very addicting. The shields get destroyed way too easily and the enemy ships need like multiple rail guns.

    OH and the bigger ships need counter measures against missiles. That would make the guns useful again. Still haven't seen a reason for the repair place. Maybe make really strong shields on some of them and make an EMP gun. (kind of like the slow gun in most TD games, but this one would just weaken shields and do no damage.

  13. #13
    213
    posts
    Registered User
    Very nice good job.
    I really wish though there was a hard mode, I found normal a little too easy myself.
    Also I kept expecting some final boss ship to come in at the end, but that never happened.
    If possible could you put in a really big boss ship at the end, if so that would be great

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gathan View Post
    Very nice good job.
    I really wish though there was a hard mode, I found normal a little too easy myself.
    Also I kept expecting some final boss ship to come in at the end, but that never happened.
    If possible could you put in a really big boss ship at the end, if so that would be great
    A final boss on normal is a good idea, it's just a bit of work. Art is not my strong suit, so coming up with a good looking final ship takes some time.

    Once I have a final boss for normal, I can make a "hard" setting.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
    Did you change it for the upgraded economic buildings? I beat normal again very easily (upgraded all my missile silos on the map). Make a hard level please It's very addicting. The shields get destroyed way too easily and the enemy ships need like multiple rail guns.

    OH and the bigger ships need counter measures against missiles. That would make the guns useful again. Still haven't seen a reason for the repair place. Maybe make really strong shields on some of them and make an EMP gun. (kind of like the slow gun in most TD games, but this one would just weaken shields and do no damage.
    I'm surprised it's still too easy-- I can beat normal, but not without repair centers. What strategy are you using to beat the game? It's possible you may be playing a cached version-- you can tell if you're using the new econ model if the buildings say their revenue is $0.00x per million instead of a flat rate.

    EMP isn't a bad idea. I suppose the solution to give Ion cannons more value is a wave with lots of small ships.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Home About kirupa.com Meet the Moderators Advertise

 Link to Us

 Credits

Copyright 1999 - 2012