Thread: Damsel in distress!

Damsel in distress!

Hi clever people!

This is my first day on here- I work for a design company and our Web guy has unfortunately traveled to pastures new-leaving me to try and sort out some of the web stuff!!! I have a very beginners based knowledge of the web-i.e I have dabbled in Flash and dream weaver-but I could do with a quick question being answered...
    We are producing a fun site for a theatre that are showing the wizard of Oz and they want an online game (splat the witch!)....we have a flash game that we produced a while ago for our company(splat the staff with cr*p!) so we are going to modify this-however they would like to add an online scoring system to this -so they can make it into a competition. I'm taking it that an online scoring system will have to be built into the flash game itself-but I need to know if this is a complex job and how long it would take-just so I can factor it all into the budget.

I would really appreciate some help and advice on this-many many thanks!! x

2. Quote Originally Posted by supersprout View Post
    Hi clever people!

This is my first day on here- I work for a design company and our Web guy has unfortunately traveled to pastures new-leaving me to try and sort out some of the web stuff!!! I have a very beginners based knowledge of the web-i.e I have dabbled in Flash and dream weaver-but I could do with a quick question being answered...
    We are producing a fun site for a theatre that are showing the wizard of Oz and they want an online game (splat the witch!)....we have a flash game that we produced a while ago for our company(splat the staff with cr*p!) so we are going to modify this-however they would like to add an online scoring system to this -so they can make it into a competition. I'm taking it that an online scoring system will have to be built into the flash game itself-but I need to know if this is a complex job and how long it would take-just so I can factor it all into the budget.

I would really appreciate some help and advice on this-many many thanks!! x
    It can be done fairly easy if you know PHP. It doesn't necessarily has to be build in to flash, it's probably even easier to just have a webpage online handling this.

This isn't really my area, but when I tried this out I just send score and name to a PHP site that listed it. www.wonima.demon.nl -> IMBA.

There are probably people that know a lot more and can help you out a lot better then I can.

You're game or webpage will need a login, then once a player finishes the game, their login ID and score (and any other variables like hard, easy, med game types) are sent to the server. It's best to incorporate the login and scoring system in some form of data base. The data is passed to the server side script as a query string, and the server side script can then return values for a list of top scores and the players position. I wouldn't recommend returning more than the top 10 scores, and the players position in the high score list.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jerryscript View Post
    You're game or webpage will need a login, then once a player finishes the game, their login ID and score (and any other variables like hard, easy, med game types) are sent to the server. It's best to incorporate the login and scoring system in some form of data base. The data is passed to the server side script as a query string, and the server side script can then return values for a list of top scores and the players position. I wouldn't recommend returning more than the top 10 scores, and the players position in the high score list.
    You don't NEED a login..

Thanks guys i appreciate all the help...if anyone else has any tips just let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredSandwich View Post
    You don't NEED a login..
    So how do you apply a name to a highscore list without a login? SharedObject with an initial registration?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jerryscript View Post
    So how do you apply a name to a highscore list without a login? SharedObject with an initial registration?
    Simply ask for a name and send that with it. Take a look at www.wonima.demon.nl -> IMBA. I believe it was unprotected and worked with a simple POST method (I don't know anything about PHP so excuse me here). Obviously you could just send something without flash this way, but for an easy game...

You will need to use PHP and MySQL. Firstly create a new MySQL database which would be pretty simple with two fields ("name", "score"). Now go to flash, whenever you want the score to be sent just knock up a new loadVars with the information for example...
    Code:
    var myVars = new loadVars();
    myVars.score = gameScore;
    myVars.name = name.text;
    Then you send it and load the result with the sendAndLoad function (read help), basicly you send the loadVars to the url where your PHP file is which returns if it is successfully loaded or not blah blah...

Then read up on some PHP, (i would explain but im tired) and set up a few functions that get the variables sent and then save them into your MySQL database and then process them into XML which can be easily turned into a table.

Well i would love to write a whole tutorial but its late and i have work tommoz, mabye tommorow. At least you understand the basics!

Just sending a name, sounds pretty easy to hack.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jerryscript View Post
    Just sending a name, sounds pretty easy to hack.
    It sure was, but it was only a small game and it got the job done

Correct but you can be fancy and send the name/score along with the score and a password in a MD5 format which isnt easy to hack unless your jesus!

Agreed.

My original point was, you need some form of backend, usually a database, to keep track of the scores. A simple name/score pair sent to a server file would not be most people's recomendation.

Backend Database is a must, but you must do some tricks in PHP so people cant send lets say MySQL commands to your database and wipe the whole thing!

Thread Information