The forums have permanently moved to forum.kirupa.com. This forum will be kept around in read-only mode for archival purposes. To learn how to continue using your existing account on the new forums, check out this thread.

Thread: 1st person racing

1st person racing

Hey guys, i was thinking of making a car racing game, With a 1st person perspective(like from the driver's seat perspective). I planned about how to go about it, but then i did a bit of R&D on this and found out that all the engines out there are completely different from what i was thinking.And i really couldn't figure out anything from those engines. So can somebody help me this. Maybe explain the logic or maybe point me to some good reference's?

Quote Originally Posted by acebuddy29 View Post
    Hey guys, i was thinking of making a car racing game, With a 1st person perspective(like from the driver's seat perspective). I planned about how to go about it, but then i did a bit of R&D on this and found out that all the engines out there are completely different from what i was thinking.And i really couldn't figure out anything from those engines. So can somebody help me this. Maybe explain the logic or maybe point me to some good reference's?

If you think you know what you're doing, why not write your own engine?

You could fake 1st person perspective a number of ways, or just go full-blown 3-d - what exactly did you have in mind?

If you wanted to do something 3d, try looking into papervision. Otherwise, something like mode7 scaling...
    you = function(){
    setEnabled( true );
    live();
    setEnabled( false );
    }

Quote Originally Posted by therobot View Post
    If you think you know what you're doing, why not write your own engine?

You could fake 1st person perspective a number of ways, or just go full-blown 3-d - what exactly did you have in mind?

If you wanted to do something 3d, try looking into papervision. Otherwise, something like mode7 scaling...
    Well i was thinking about faking the perespective, by skewing the the Map at runtime. But then i got stuck at how to find if the car is on road. But neways i want to know, wot is the logic behind the mask thing tht most of these engines have. Should i upload a sample engine, so that you guys can knw exactly what am talking bout?

can't anybody help me with this?

If you are skewing the map so it looks 3d why don't you skew the position of the racer?

Thread Information